Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating mass email distribution list

Creating mass email distribution list

I have a very extensive ACT with 20+ groups and some 8,000 contact entries.  Is there a way to copy select email addresses and put them in a mass email list in Outlook, or to create a distribution list for select contacts within ACT?

Re: Creating mass email distribution list

I am new to this forum and not quite sure of my way around. But I am also looking for an answer to the very same question that you asked on creating mass email distribution. If you get an answer to this, can you email it to me or will I be able to see it as well?

Karen

When I send out mass emails, I am using a program that comes from ACT, High Impact Email.  I export the list and make it an excel file, from there I clean it up a bit and then convert to a csv file or a text file.  From that file thru High Impact Email I send my mass emails.
Works pretty good, have sent up to 1500 emails, goes a little slow but it does work.
Hope this helps.  I have not tried sending directly thru ACT just the way I mentioned.
Platinum Elite Contributor

dave-stalker wrote:
I have a very extensive ACT with 20+ groups and some 8,000 contact entries.  Is there a way to copy select email addresses and put them in a mass email list in Outlook, or to create a distribution list for select contacts within ACT?

I recommend you get either MergeMaster or SwiftPage to do this directly from ACT!

I finally solved the problem of getting email addresses from ACT into Excel where they can be selectively copied and pasted into Outlook messages.  Here's the step by step procedure.   (this website will remove all the paragraph breaks...sorry, it looks like one unbelievable runon sentence.

ACT to Excel                                                            May 15, 2008 Here’s directions on how to export select data from ACT to an Excel spreadsheet Launch ACTIn the lower right hand corner is a <no group> box.   Click on it and select the group you want to extract data from  i.e.:  Legacy RG Then on the top menu bar, click on VIEWThen click on CONTACT LIST Each column listed can be sorted ascending or descending order by clicking on the column name.    Additional columns of info can be added by right clicking in an empty area to the right of the last field of info….so for example if you want to add “email” as a field…add it now. To narrow the list to a specific group of data like “California”….sort the STATE column and all States will be be grouped. Next you want to get rid of all the data you don’t need from that group.  For example, if you want just California Legacy prospects,  you’ll need to OMIT all the contacts not in California. To select what to omit,  click on the very leftmost little square box on the very top of the Contact List.   Then go down the list to the first California listing and “shift click” on the last entry before the first California contact.   This will black highlight all the listings prior to anything in California…it may be hundreds of contacts.    Next click “OMIT SELECTED”,   this will sequentially omit them, and you’ll see the counter running in the upper left corner. Next do the same procedure for everything below the (California) listings which you want to omit.   Select the first one after the last CA contact, and go all the way to the bottom of the list and “shift click” the last contact.  Again, all that will be omitted are black highlighted. Hit “OMIT SELECTED”  and then you’ll have your list of whatever group you’re working with in whatever state you want.     Now it’s time to export the ACT list and turn it into an Excel spreadsheet. Click FILE,  then DATA EXCHANGE,  then EXPORT. An export Wizard opens up. You want to export data as “DELIMITED TEXT”    (this .txt file type allows ACT data to be exported to a number of different software programs including Excel) The location it will be exported to should be in your local ACT folder, but you will need to make the last part of the file name something distinctive you can find:i.e.  Calif RG list #1 Next in the Wizard:  select CONTACT RECORDS ONLYThen click CURRENT LOOKUP Next you can go direct to FINISHOr select only the information fields you want to export.Careful, if you DO NOT select specific info fields you will get ALL FIELDS in ACTOn your Excel Spreadsheet.    The most useful fields are Contact, Address, City, State, Phone number and Email.   There are many similar and alternate fields you have to delete to narrow the data to just what you need.With regards to email….include any field with any reference to email…there are 3. FINISH the Export Wizard Now, launch Excel Click on FILE>OpenLook in your ACT folder….on file types, click ALL in the dialog box at the bottom,Then click DATABASE and select your exported .txt file > OPEN Then follow the prompts as the De-limited Text Wizard formats your data for Excel.   Be sure to select TAB and COMA delimiters.   If you imported all the fields from ACT you have a chance to tell the program to “skip a column” but there’s probably 50 or so, and it’s very time consuming. When you finish the wizard, the data pops into Excel, and all that’s left to do is adjust the column widths so all data is displayed….unwanted columns can be deleted and collapsed/narrowed for better space management. Now email addresses can be copied and pasted right from the spreadsheet into an Outlook email message.  Limit addresses to less than 100 per message.

Copper Contributor

Dave,

I saw your post from a few years ago and wanted to see if you found a solution for e-mailing select groups from ACT using Outook.

We have 3000 contacts and 10+ e-mail groups and have found the ACT graphical merge to be limited for what we want to do.

Copper Contributor

I really like the features of Swift Page but are there any alternative solutions that do not require an ongoing monthly or annual subscription fee? Looking for something that is a one-time payment but has similar features ie: track campaigns, hot lists, send emails to more than just the primary email field in Act etc.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks