Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating contacts from email, and merging with imported data.

Creating contacts from email, and merging with imported data.

I'm just starting to use ACT2007 and am interested in creating contact entries from incoming email.

I saw in the help how to do this, but it looks like it's a pretty manual process for things like phone number, address,

etc., and the help entry didn't really address this.

Is it possible to somehow create a mail message to send to people in some form format, so that when people reply, all

the information (phone number, address, etc.) will get automagically entered into the proper fields in the appropriate

contact entry?

The documentation suggests that all that information must be entered by hand by reading the mail message, but it

seems like there should be some way to automate it?

Secondly, is it possible to merge an import with existing records? In other words, is it possible to have an ACT record

with just a person's name, and then import a CSV file that contains their address, etc., and have the address get put

into the proper place in that record?

What is the format of the inport/export CSV file, because I tried an export of a record and it appears to output in

Unicode, not in Ascii, and this be changed? Does the import expect Unicode?

TIA!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Creating contacts from email, and merging with imported data.

paulkinzelman wrote:

I'm just starting to use ACT2007 and am interested in creating contact entries from incoming email.

I saw in the help how to do this, but it looks like it's a pretty manual process for things like phone number, address,

etc., and the help entry didn't really address this.

Is it possible to somehow create a mail message to send to people in some form format, so that when people reply, all

the information (phone number, address, etc.) will get automagically entered into the proper fields in the appropriate

contact entry?

Try something like this http://www.egrabber.com/emailleadgrabber.html

Secondly, is it possible to merge an import with existing records? In other words, is it possible to have an ACT record

with just a person's name, and then import a CSV file that contains their address, etc., and have the address get put

into the proper place in that record?

You'd need something like this http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/57/1

What is the format of the inport/export CSV file, because I tried an export of a record and it appears to output in

Unicode, not in Ascii, and this be changed? Does the import expect Unicode?

What windows Operating system (language) and Regional Unicode settings are you using?

Ouch. The first is $750, the second is about $200. I am looking at it for a shoestring organization.

Anything more low budget, or is the short answer is 'no'? :-) It's nice to know that they exist

tho, thanks for the pointers. 

Everything (regional setting) is the default - United States English on Vista Home Premium

Nickel Contributor

have a look also at web prospect at crmaddons.com

this is what im using to automatically import contact data from a webform on my website. 

Matt

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Thanks - that's getting more affordable. If I am deluged with emails, I may buy that one.

So is the concept that a prospect goes to your web page, fills in the forms, and clicks

'send' or something, and it emails that form to ACT, which then parses the tags to find

the fields he filled in, and then writes them into the ACT database? Do I have that right?
Thanks!

Nickel Contributor

Yes, new prospects fill in my project submission form here (http://yourintownhandyman.com/contactme.aspx) and clicks send.

The form is then emailed to me, captured by outlook and placed in a particular folder.  Web Prospect, looks in that folder and find their email. it then figures out which information matches what fields and makes a new contact with that. its also smart en9ugh to compare and find duplicates which it will then merge any new info into that existing contact.

works real well for me! they have a 30 day trial. check it out.

OH, i use web prospect in conjuntction with mail merge and SAM from the sae company to make sales campaigns and drip marketing.

Matt

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Thank you very much for the example and explanation. That's what I was looking for!