Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Creating companies from your contacts

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Creating companies from your contacts

[ Edited ]

There is no add-on that I can find that will actually convert a contact to a company. You can create a company from a contact, but not convert. This process can only be done one contact record at a time. From a contact's record, you would select Contact > Create Company from Contact. However, I would first recommend you read the following Knowledgebase article so you have a full understanding of  the functions of a company record:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2689...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

If you purchased ACT, then call tech support within 30 days.  I was able to have them walk me through the process of associating my contacts with their companies that were already setup and associated in Outlook.  I really don't understand why ACT can't take that information from Outlook and associate automatically.  The company is even listed next to the contact in ACT already!!!

I may have used the wrong terminology. I want to create companies from my current contacts so that I don't lose all the history and notes I have under them.

I am not too familiar with ACT yet to quite understand what you are trying to do.  I would at least try calling tech support.  It is worth a shot and you should try to get your money's worth out of them  Smiley Wink

Thank you for the information. At least I now know there is a way to do it, even if I have to do it one company at a time. Strange that the lady from customer service couldn't take the 30 seconds it would have taken to explain that to me. Your product is a great contact management program but it almost seems your company purposely limits mass functionality in order to get more sales out of existing customers. My company is looking at new contact management software, which is why we purchase this one license. Given the fact that you want almost as much money for the support packages as you do the software itself I'm not sure I will recommend your product. You should have at least some basic support for your product.

Even more good news. I started doing the manual conversion and it only copies a few fields. Wonderful. Is there a way to have it copy all the fields. I would think a field like the phone number would be standard. Thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Unfortunately there is no mechanism or add-on to convert your contacts to companies. It really doesn't seem necessary to do this as companies are just a way of grouping contacts together - they do not have all the available functionality that contact records do. I would advise creating company records from the contacts and having those contacts linked to that company record. In the notes, history tabs of the company record you can see the data for the contacts that are associated with the company.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Highlighted
Astute Commentator

Why don't you use Create Companies from Contacts for ACT!?

You can find the software at http://www.123addons.com

It should do everything you want to do.

T