Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating an ACT History report problem

Creating an ACT History report problem

Hi,

I am trying to create a report editing the History Classic template, including the emails tab. However, every time I try to run a report, the collumns next to the name's are always '0's', even though there is recorded history on the database. I have tried manually adding _History in the subreports but to no luck. 

Any help would be fantastic!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Creating an ACT History report problem

I assume you are referring to the History Summary Classic report. It's fairly easy to change the definition of a column in the report but it does require careful editing of the VB scripts that accumulate the totals for the columns in the report. Adding a column is much more dificult involving adding hidden field and creating additional VB scripts. I've created several custom versions of this report. I've attached a PDF copy of an alternate version that I created using Durkin Impact Reports. It was run for all dates on the ACT! demo database. The date range, history types included and the users are delectable at runtime.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I am looking to purchase a ACT! Report Addon software but cannot find any reviews for any. Is there any suggested Addon's that would essentially would allow me to produce reports with headers like http://www.impactact.com/PDFs/ReportDesigner/History_All_Types_Count.pdf.

Platinum Elite Contributor

There are only two addon report writers that are ACT! database aware; Stonefield Query and Durkin Impact reports. Stonefield Query is very expensive and uses a wizard to design the reports. While initial report design is fairly easy customizing the design to vary field size is harder. I've used Stonfield Query in the past and it didn't have the flexibility I wanted. The othe choice is Durkin Impact reports. It has a wizard that is good for simple, quick reports but lacks flexibility. the alternative with the Durkin Impact reports is to start with a blank form and build the report from scratch. That actually isn't as bad as it seems. In most cases I can build a report faster in Durkin than I can in the ACT! reports. However the report designer has a steep learning curve and you need some knowledge of SQL queries and the ACT! database structure. The Durkin Impact reports provide extensive runtime filtering to further modify the basic report. I've attached a PDF sample of the History Type report you wanted that I build quick with Durking Impact reports. The database is the ACT! demo and it shows sll the history types used. You could use the same report to show only the history types you were interested using the runtime filtering. Other SQL based report editors such as Crystal Reports can be used with ACT! database but you first need to make the connection to the ACT! database
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129