Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating a new database that has the same customized layouts as an existing database

Creating a new database that has the same customized layouts as an existing database

ACT 2007 Can anyone give me an EASY way to create a new database wtih all the layouts, reports, etc of a database that is already existing?  I have a customer that refuses to use groups and insists on having a seperate database for each of his customer groupings.  (Go figure) The software is installed on 1 Vista machine and 1 XP machine and they seem to have different reactions to the same actions.  I have tried the following ACT HELP features and none have been 100% successful:

- copy and paste existing custom layouts, templates, etc from existing sub folders to the new one .... the properties didn't all copy over nor some of the fields. Where can I find the information that cooresponds to the all those property fields?

- created a new empty copy of a data base and try to import the new data.  Turned out a bigger mess than the 1st attempt

- finally I created the new database imported the fields I had and copied the layouts from other databases but this was not successful either! 

PLEASE HELP - I'm at wits end and I've read every help file I could find and followed the directions - only to end up with another problem.   

Tuned Listener

Re: Creating a new database that has the same customized layouts as an existing database

I use Act 2009 so this may not apply to Act 2007.

I clone the db by using File > Save copy as. The copy must have a different name than the original but everything else is the same.

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Creating a new database that has the same customized layouts as an existing database

As an admin user of the first database you can also do a file > backup and specify a backup filename and location to create a backup file.  Then do a file > restore > database as and point to the file you just backed up as the source and specify a different database name from the first and an identical copy of the first database will be created.