Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating a custom directory report

Creating a custom directory report

I'm trying to print out a directory that contains name/contact, etc. along with a few custom fields.  I've created a custom report template and am ok with how it appears.....however, I don't know how to 1) change the sorting if I want it alphabetized by company name rather than contact name and 2) eliminate page breaks so that I don't get one page for each contact.   I need it to be a usable tool for my 'computer-challenged' boss but don't need to be handing him an entire 'book'.    Is there an easier way to do this?  I am finding the learning curve on much of this program to be fairly steep...... 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Creating a custom directory report

Hello June,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Working with reports can be a time consuming task...  To produce a report as quickly as possible, have you tried customizing the Contact List to show the desired fields and then using the Export to Excel icon (assuming Excel is available)?  You will get 1 line per contact and can then sort the Excel file using any of the columns.

To customize the Contact List view: access the Contact List view > go to View menu > select Customize Columns.

Greg Martin
Sage

I appreciate your suggestion but I don't realy like the "one-line per contact" for a report...I like the directory format for my boss to easily refer to out in the field and on the run.  Even if I can't get it sorted the way I want, I would like to know how to eliminate the page break so that they continue to print on a page if there is room, not break between each record.  He doesn't need 300 pages, he needs the 300 contacts and data on as few pages as possible and not where he'll practically need a ruler to make sure he's still on the same line on a spreadsheet or have to refer up and down to category headings.  

I pushed the purchase of this program through, against one of the owner's wishes, so using an Excel spreadsheet will NOT go over very well....I'll get the "now, why did we need this program again when it's data already IN Excel to begin with!"  I think I'm a bit frustrated at the long learning curve and complexity of this program.  I remember what it was like in 85 or 86 when first developed and, even though it was very basic, it was still a great tool.  This has almost gotten too complicated and cumbersome in its features.

Platinum Elite Contributor

What you want isn't difficult but I can't tell exactly why your report template dosen't work without directly examining the template. The fix could be simple or complex, impossible to tell without examining the template.

There is a third party book with comprehensive training on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129