Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating a copy of a database taking a long time to complete

Creating a copy of a database taking a long time to complete

Hi,

We are running ACT! version Pro 2011 Version 13.1.111.0 Hot Fix 4 and are trying to create a copy of our master database so we can archived only 'old' contacts (the thought was to save a full copy, open the copy of the db and delete all the 'current' contacts, leaving a database with only the 'old' contacts in it for archival purposes).  

I have tried the Save Copy As and it took way too long (started on Friday, still running on Monday).  So, created an empty copy and tried to copy over the data and it too took way too long.  A Backup of the database can complete in about 10 or 15 minutes.  Any idea why this is taking so long (it is an old server, but nothing else is running on it and regular activities are fine).

I will be trying to do the detach/manually copy the files to a new location/new name but am wondering if that will really do the trick...seems as if there would be linkages somehow to the old name (I don't know SQL or ACT! well enough to know for sure).

If there is anything I'm missing or that I should try, let me know.

thanks,

greg

Nickel Contributor

Re: Creating a copy of a database taking a long time to complete

Why not try restoring a backup by using the "restore as" option.
The reason it may be taking a long time could be due to all the attachments when you are doing a copy of the database. Have you checked what options you are using when backing up the database as you may have "Include attachments" un-ticked.

Hey -- I'll try that tonight.  I must have missed 'restore as' in looking at how to do this.  That might be the best option (and fastest).  I don't think I checked the 'include attachments', so that could be an issue to.  Great ideas...more after tonight.

greg

Worked like a charm...much faster than 'Save as a copy".  I appreciate the fast help.  

greg