Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating a better multi-select list

Creating a better multi-select list

I would like to list the sort of equipment my clients have.  I am open to any ways of doing this.  Right now I have created a character field 'Equipment' associated with a drop-down list 'Equipment'.  The values of the drop-down list are the sorts of equipment the client is using, for instance:

Blue Widget Stamp

Red Widget Lever

Green Widgetmobile

etc.

My clients have many pieces of equipment, so one company may need 15+ pieces of equipment associated with it.  The problem is that when I associate so many pieces of equipment, I am suddenly over the character limit (450) for the field.

I would use a memo, but I can't find a way to introduce a new line within a memo.

Suggestions?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Creating a better multi-select list

There are at least a couple of add-ons that can be used to create subentities (for a DiY solution).  It sounds to me like that is what you need to do.  Or you can find a ACC to do a customization to do the same thing.

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

ACC?

Copper Elite Contributor

Act! Certified Consultant (at least, I think that is the Designation)

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP
Employee

Having an ACC assist with customization and/or using an add-on product to create a custom equipment table are both very vaible alternatives.

Another solution, so long as the names of the pieces of equipment doesn't change often would be to come up with a naming convention for them so you can shorten the names in the multi-select combo box and as a result, be able to select more of them. This is of course depedent on the names of these items and how many there are. Or if the equipment comes in certain 'types' you could have multiple multi-select combo boxes each for a particular type of product.

HTH

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

Could you expand on this? Any names where I might see what you are referring to?
Phoenix, AZ
4 user Act 2011HF5
W7 (32&64) on a W7-64 "Server"
Outlook 2003 and 2007