Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating Vendors and Clients

Creating Vendors and Clients

[ Edited ]

Is there any way to modify companies. I would like to have a companies tab on the main column for my clients and one for my vendors. Or with in companies create subfolders for clients and vendors.

Message Edited by fintech on 10-02-2008 12:07 PM
Message Edited by fintech on 10-02-2008 12:07 PM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Creating Vendors and Clients

Good morning fintech ...

I may have a scenario that mirrors your contact organization.

I use companies by grouping and not linking , so here's what I do:  (I am just not comfortable with linking yet)

For every customer contact I crete an additional record called "! Useful Information" as the first name and force it to be "! Useful Information" for the last name as well.  I do that so that this record comes up first when I do a company look up or when another contact is associated with a company or division.

Then using the Companies organization I create the company and include all the contacts in the company.  For divisions, I entitle them:

• "Co-Workers" - these are personnel within our company who may have a reason to be involved with the company (we have 6,000 people)
  • "Vendor Contacts" - these are the vendors who I work with on a specific company.  Of course I have associate the same vendor contact with more than one company.
  • As of now, I am not using the "Companies Linking" feature.  I just use the grouping by company.  I may go back and link in the future, but for now I am not comfortable with it.

When I look up by company, I get all the people in the company.  If I need to look at a sub grouping, I then click on the companies icon on the left of the screen and find the section for which I want to find the contact.  This works fine for me because I will reach out to a vendor to do a joint sales call but may not contact that vendor again for 6 months to a year.  All I have to remember is that I used someone from that vendor with a specific company in the past.  Click on the company then on "Vendors" and there is the list of all the vendors I have used in the past.

I hope this helps.  You may get a much better suggestion from one of the valued consultants who support this forum, but this is just one person's approach.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Bronze Contributor

fintech,

Why not use the primary contact screen and in the field called ID status you can have the dropdown to say customer or vendor. You can then lookup these easily and a single contact can be a customer or vendor or if you have left this field you can select both for a single contact.

I would not recommedn using companies for the method you are asking as this area is mainly for grouping as suggested by another reply

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

To JNPURDY:

Regarding your comment for the joint sales call, how does one "close" an opportunity for which two different record manager's deserve equal credit.  Is there a way to attach 2 record manager's to the closed opportunity so that the Sales Analysis could possibly reflect a more accurate close (i.e. 6.5 out of 10).

Thanks,

Collin

Bronze Contributor

You can only have one record manager per opportunity so I see there are two ways ot do this

a) Create two opportunities and split the deal

b) disregard the Record Manager field and use one of the Opportunity User fields and the Rep field and have a numti select dropdown or type in the names of the account managers

HTH

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another option.

Yes Make use of the ID/Status field in the Contact side of ACT!  to differentiate between Vendors, Clients, etc..

Yes, Link your Contacts to their Company records in the Company side of ACT!.

Then re Opportunities and multiple Record Managers ( Sales Reps )

I would prob create a new field called something like: Assigned_To_Sales_Managers(Reps)

Maybe make it a Multiselect Drop Down

Then apply that new field to your Opportunity Layout and add it to your desired Sales Reports.

No Duplication. Pure ACT! and Keepin it Simple. Cheers - FSBill   Smiley Happy

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html