Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating Reports on Company Lists

Tuned Listener

Creating Reports on Company Lists

I've done quite a bit of searching around and either I'm missing something obvious or I'm going about this the wrong way. What I'm trying to do is create a report based off of the Company List that gets returned from a query I run. I don't need any of the actual Contacts in this report (most of the companies don't have a contact, only the company), just the companies.

In case there is another way to go about this, the business wants to generate reports for their sales people based off of some criteria that we put in the queries. There is one person who will be generating these reports and they need to be emailed to someone else to get distributed. This gets rid of the option to just print them.

Appreciate any help and sorry if this has been answered before (couldn't find it when searching).

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Creating Reports on Company Lists

I've read you post several times and I'm not sure what you want to do. Do you already have the report and want to run it for a specific lookup?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Basically I run a query on the companies to get a list of companies that are in a set of zip codes. This is in my company lookup. After that, I need to make a list of these companies as a report that can be sent to someone else. I'm trying to run any of the Report -> Company reports but none of them show just that lookup. Is there some mediary step I need to do before that is a real lookup? Or am I just missing something to make this show up in the report rather than nothing, one company, or all of the companies?

It sounds like you are creating the lookup on the contact table rather than the company table.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Well, barring what is in my lookup in the company view after running my query, I don't have any option to create a lookup of more than one company. And even from that, I don't need the contacts because most of the businesses don't have any contacts associated with them, they are only companies. That's the problem I face, trying to get reports ran on the companies I see in the lookup right after I run a query.

I just did a lookup of companies on the company screen and ran a company report for the current lookup.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

And it actually gave you the report based on only the companies that were in the lookup? Did you do anything special after running a query? Using which report? I've tried this numerous times and have never gotten it to work.

jprof7 wrote:
And it actually gave you the report based on only the companies that were in the lookup?
 Yes 
Did you do anything special after running a query?
  As I stated, I ran the query on the company screen.
Using which report?
I believe it was the company detail but it would be the same with any company report. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

This might be what you are looking for although you didn't specify which version of ACT! you are running.  In 2009 what you can do is, as Roy mentioned do a Company-based lookup instead of a contact one. 

Lookup > Companies > Advanced Query.  Make sure Companies is specified in the search for text box then specify Companies in the type combo box.  In the field name specify Zip Code, then Greater than or equal to, then a lower bound Zip Code value then click the add to list button. 

Add another row specifying companies type, Zip Code field, Less than or Equal to, then an upper bound zip code in the value text box.  Click add to list then preview if you like.  Next click OK to run the query, then either Yes or no to save the query, then select replace lookup.  This will create a lookup of companies in a zip code range that you can use any of the company reports on. 

Remember to specify current lookup as the dataset for the company report and ACT! will use the companies that were returned from the Zip Code query.