Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating Groups Using Criteria List

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Creating Groups Using Criteria List

I am trying to create a group using criteria. Where I am having a problem is when a field has no data, nothing is returned. Let me give an example of what I mean:

I want to return all records where User 1 is EQUAL to BROWN except when Last Results CONTAINS the value of DUPLICATE RECORD

So I create a group then click Add/Remove Contacts > Edit Criteria List > Select User 1 from the "Field Name" select "Equal To [=]" for the Operator and enter BROWN as my "Value". This returns all records where User 1 is equal to BROWN. Fine and well.

Next I want to refine that group by Last Results where it DOES NOT CONTAIN the value of DUPLICATE RECORD. So I select Last Results for the "Field Name" then "DOES NOT CONTAIN" for the Operator and enter DUPLICATE RECORD as my "Value".  As excpeted it does return those records, BUT it does not return any record that does not have a blank value in Last Result either.

This is an undesirable result as I want to return all records where User 1 is EQUAL to BROWN except when Last Results CONTAINS the value of DUPLICATE RECORD and not only when the Last Results has a value at all.

Make sense? I'm sure there has to be a way to accomplish this, please advise. Thanks.

Vern

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Creating Groups Using Criteria List

What you need to do here is add another criteria so that the records that have an empty Last Results are specified.  In addition to the lines you have in your query add one that says "Contact Last Results Does Not Contain Data". Move it in order so that it is just after the previous condition for Last Results (Does Not Contain Duplicate Record) and change the And/Or value for the Does Not Contain Duplicate Record line to OR.  Put a set of brackets around these two line, and you should be good to go.

This is needed because of either the way that Act! is parsing the natural english into SQL or it is just a natural result of that conversion.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

What you need to do here is add another criteria so that the records that have an empty Last Results are specified.  In addition to the lines you have in your query add one that says "Contact Last Results Does Not Contain Data". Move it in order so that it is just after the previous condition for Last Results (Does Not Contain Duplicate Record) and change the And/Or value for the Does Not Contain Duplicate Record line to OR.  Put a set of brackets around these two line, and you should be good to go.

This is needed because of either the way that Act! is parsing the natural english into SQL or it is just a natural result of that conversion.

Ok, got that, but then now how do I add another set, like "Not A Fit" and "Not Interested"? 

I got it. I needed to repeat the process and use and AND statement between it. Thanks.