Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Creating Group Criteria

Creating Group Criteria

I have been having trouble getting one of my dynmaic groups to work. I want to set up a group that will display clients upcoming brithday's.  I create a group, title it, then go to "Add/Remove Group Members". The I go to "Edit Critera". then I enter the criteria as follows, Type; Contacts, Field Name: Birth Date, Operator: Within Next [days], Value: 7, And/Or: End. After that I hit "Add to List", the I hit "Preview" and all the clinets that fit into that criteria's names appear. Then I hit okay, and none of the clients have been added to the group...

To make things weirder, when I change the Operator to say Operator: Within Last [days], and hit okay, all those clients are added to the group.

Am I missing something here?

Copper Contributor

Re: Creating Group Criteria

Hi Missi, without thinking about this too hard, have you checked what columns you have got shown on the main Group view screen. It might be that it has found them but you can't see the list as you have some odd columns on there? If not, what happens if you try the same criteria but using a Lookup rather than a group? Let me know how you get on John.

Yes, I checked the columns, and the I have to contact column selected, and when I do a lookup like you suggested it works just fine.

Copper Contributor

Hello again, the fact it shows them via a Lookup means I am still convinced it is displaying something but you just can't see them.

Do you have contacts without a contact name but with a date of birth (maybe's some records you have been playing with while trying Act)?.  In this case, it finds the match and is trying to display their Forename, surname or contact name on the Group screen but because it hasn't got this data on the Contact record it looks like it is displaying nothing.

1) try clicking onto the imaginary first record it would find and see if you can scroll down.

2) Right click onto the imaginary group list and create a lookup from the Group.  This will then take you to the larger lookup screen where you can get a better view of the records it has found.

Regards,

John.

It can't be a viewing problem, I can see contacts names and such just fine when I go to other group. I went to the lookup screen, and there aren't any records that have blank names.

Here's what's weird about this whole thing. ACT! has a default group that shows upcoming birthdays. We went into this group and saw that the criteria was to show the bupcoming birthdays for the next 14 days, all we did was go to go into "edit criteria" and changed the 14 to a 7. And all of a sudden the group was completely blank, even though we have at least 20 clients with upcoming birthdays within the next 7 days.

Thanks for your help