Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Created fields import

Created fields import

I have a group of layouts and templates I've created in the trial version of ACT. I want to be able to also move the created fields I made (the knowledgebase article for importing doesn't reference created fields), but not necessarily the database (I'm going to make a new one on a server to be shared). Can this be done without having to re-create every field all over again?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Created fields import

Since you are using a trial version, can we assume it is ACT 2013?

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by moving the created fields?  It appears that you want to move them from one layout to another.  If that is the case, the fields remain in tact and you can import into them.  I am n ot a consultant, so my answer may get edited.  Importing into a field is easy if it is the whole contact being imported.  If you are importing into a field of an existing contact, then that gets a little more complicated.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Yes it is ACT 2013. We recently purchased the full version. When I completed my layouts and reports in the trial version, I had to re-install the program (I saved the layouts and reports before the re-install) when I got everything going again, I created a new test database, made the fields again and everything worked. But I don't want to import the test database.

Bronze Contributor

If the trial version was set up the way you wanted it, then use that and register it with the serial number. 

If the trial has data that you don't want, then just delete the records and keep the layout you created.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Elite Contributor

The trial is the full version ... you just need to add the key

Open the database with trial data:
File | Save Copy As | Create Empty Copy

This makes a copy of the database (with fields), but no data

I did perform the empty copy, but when I tried to move it, I didn't see a way to put it in the new database. I was able to import a backed up database and the fields stayed (I had to redo all the toolbars & column configurations though).