Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Created New Database and LOST old database

Created New Database and LOST old database

I was working on inputing data on a current database of over 750 contacts

I would never save or reopen the file everyday I would simply close the ACT program andor just shutdown my computer and the next morning when I opened ACT the same database I had been working popped up with the correct amount of newly inputed files

One day I created a new database from the File drop down list and when i went to switch back to the old database that i was previously working on it was no where to be found

Did i replace it when i created the new database

Why can I not find it through restore or the ACT diagnostics

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Created New Database and LOST old database

Sounds like the PAD file is corrupted or lost. 

If the lost database was loaded on the same computer, run ACT! Diag and look at the Database List.  The path to the db will be listed.

Find the ADF file and open in via File > Open Database > change file type from PAD to ADF.

SA

When I try to open an ADF file a box opens and says that I do not have permission to open the file and that I must contact an Admin, however, I created two other blank databases just for the sake of locating them on my computer system and seeing if they would replace each other like what happened originally- but each database was created properly and did not replace each other, and they show up in the proper file.

However, when I try to open up the example database files in the same way that I would like to open up my lost files - I get the same pop up box that says I need an admins permission (the box doesnt provide info on how to grant that permission however)

Further info (the file when i search in documents-act databases, shows up as the ACT symbol with the proper name- this is the icon i try to open that then tells me i need permission) why is this so

Copper Super Contributor

Hi,

If you are getting an msg stating that you dont have permission to open it and that you need to contact an admin, then what you could try is close act and then right click on the act icon on the desktop and click on "run as admin" or "Run as" and try and open the program as a admin  user and try to open the database using the adf file.

It would be a lot helpfull if you let us know the OS of your computer.

Thank you. 

This EXACT same thing has happened to me and I see several others. I made a new DB and now cant acces my primary DB or my new one. Does anyone have a fix?