Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Create lookup of selected members of a group

Copper Contributor

Create lookup of selected members of a group

[ Edited ]

1. I want to send a mail merge to selected members of a group. There is no particular criteria, I just need to pick and choose.  I am assuming I need to create a lookup of those members first. If so, how do I create that lookup?

2. I need to find all the members of a group that Ihave not sent a letter to in the last 6 months, then create a lookup of them. How do I do this search?

Thanks

Message Edited by Vincenzo on 12-07-2009 05:58 PM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Create lookup of selected members of a group

If there is no particular criteria, than you will need to create a new group.  Then display the Contact list - likely with all contacts showing.  Holding the Ctrl key down, click the desired contacts, going down through the list.  After selecting several, right click and choose 'Add to Contacts To Group..."  Add to the new group.

As far as finding folks who have not received a letter, you might try using the special Contact Activity lookup tool from the bottom of the Lookup menu.  Filter it for 'Letter Sent'.  Mess with the settings until you understand what it is doing.  This will help you find those folks.  Once listed, you can add them to the above group if desired.

Then do mail merge.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply.

mscott821 wrote:

If there is no particular criteria, than you will need to create a new group.  Then display the Contact list - likely with all contacts showing.  Holding the Ctrl key down, click the desired contacts, going down through the list.  After selecting several, right click and choose 'Add to Contacts To Group..."  Add to the new group.

It seems like there should be a way to open the group and select the members you want. But ctrl-click does not work.

Is there no way to do this?

I've been playing a bit and I did find a work around, but it seems a bit convoluted. I opened the group, right clicked on a member and selected Create Lookup. That lookup contains the entire group. Then I selected the members I wanted and created a new lookup from that. But it seems like there should be a way to do this directly from the Group Detail.

mscott821 wrote:

As far as finding folks who have not received a letter, you might try using the special Contact Activity lookup tool from the bottom of the Lookup menu.  Filter it for 'Letter Sent'.  Mess with the settings until you understand what it is doing.  This will help you find those folks.  Once listed, you can add them to the above group if desired.

When I look in Lookup>Contact Activity, I see no way to limit the search to just one group.

Maybe I need to do an Advanced Query with multiple criteria?

Thanks

Message Edited by Vincenzo on 12-08-2009 03:35 PM

I am new at ACT and I have been fighting the the group function for two hours.  I need to send a mail merge email to everyone in a group that I have already set up and that has 250 contacts associated with it.

If I have to go through my contact list and select them individually, what was the point of putting them in a group to begin with?  There are 250 of them mixed all through my database.

How do I sort by group?  This seems the most basic of functions, but I cannot figure out how to do it.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Right click on the group name in the tree and select create lookup.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129