Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Create company from Contact

Tuned Listener

Create company from Contact

[ Edited ]

Hi everybody 

suddenly my ACT! 2013 Sp1 HF4 stopped to create company from contact. 

When I select Create Company from Contact under the menu Contacts, nothing happen now: no error message, no display reaction, nothing happen. I use this function a lot.

Please help 

Re: Create company from Contact

If you attempt to do this in the demo database, does the same thing occur? If it works properly in the demo, it could be due to some database damage. I would recommend that you run maintenance on the database per the following knowledgebase article:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19642

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Tuned Listener

In the demo DB i can create company.

But the most important thing I discovered only 2 days ago, is that for some contact I can create the related company.
I mean for the most of my contacts is not possible and for few of them yes.

Do you think I still have to go troug the Answer 19642?

If the Demo database allows you to create companies consistently, but the database that you actually work in will not, I still would recommend going ahead and going through Answer 19642 and then trying to create the company from the contacts, especially since there's no error message or any apparent acknowledgement from the program that you have tried to create the company.
Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Tuned Listener

I went through the Answer 19642 till the very end. Not all the steps stated in the Answer 19642 are available for my copy of ACT! 2013 HF4 and the diagnostic tool does not perform all of them. Then I restarted Act! and tested "Create Company.." without any improvement in creating company. Then I tried creating an empty copy of my DB and launched the import procedure to import data from the previous DB. Companies, Opportunities and Groups were imported correctly but no way to import Contacts from the previous DB, so I quit.

After all I'm still at the starting point: I can create company only from some contacts. For some others is impossible.

Senzanome.gif

You should still be able to import the Contacts from the previous DB. Did it give you an error when you attempted to import them originally?

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Tuned Listener

I' sorry, after reconfiguration of the duplicate checking, contacts were imported. Unfortunately the problem is still there. It is not possible to create company from the same contacts of the original DB. Again no warning or error messages.

RJS
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is what fixed my same problem last year.

Without realizing I had 1 field on my contact layout that required some sort of data - when I create a new contact it prompts me to add data to the field otherwise I cannot continue. BUT, if I had existing contacts created before I made this field require data, those contacts still continue to work correctly even though this field was blank, until I try to create a company from them. Same applied to any contacts I imported, they too did not require that field to be filled but I could not create a company from that record until I entered data in that field.

Let me know if this works..... Try creating a new contact without filling in any fields but the name, to be sure you have no required fields.

Rob
RobJSinger.com
Tuned Listener

Yes I have field that cannot be blank in my db, but there is no relation between this and the fact that some contacts does not generate the related company. In those contacts that tipically do not create a company in my db these field are filled.

Thank you for your time Rob.

RJS
Copper Contributor

There is a relationship since fields designated to require data will stop companies from being created for a contact.

Are you sure you check every tab on the contact record - not just just the upper part of the detail page the fields on the tabs below too,  to make sure your required fields are filled in for the contact/s you are having the problem with?

Did you create a new TEST contact and try to save it by going to another contact to make sure which fields are required that may have been overlooked?

If you've checked all this I do not have another answer for you except to make sure you are not overlooking any required fields.

Rob
RobJSinger.com