Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Create Database from backup or converting from Act 6 to 2008 Problems

Create Database from backup or converting from Act 6 to 2008 Problems

Vista, UAC turned off Only one user-me

After hours of getting Act to complete the installation and run this is what I finally get

Directory lookup for the file "C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\ACT\ACT For Windows 10\Databases\XXXX_XXXX.ADF" failed with the operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

The first time I installed Act 2008 there was trouble, this time with a reinstall was a real nightmare in daylight hours, now I finally get it ti install and Voila, more trouble.

Any ideas?  Suggestions? Etc, Etc, Etc.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Create Database from backup or converting from Act 6 to 2008 Problems

Is the folder name "XXXX" your name?
The error means you don't have access to that path.

How was the database put there?
Can you open the demo database?

Folder "XXX" is my name.  Used the normal install procedure provided by ACT.  Yes I can open the Demo Database.  This makes no sense to me.  While the original install had some difficulties this one is a nightmare.  This message comes up regardless of attempting to open an existing database, import from 2006 database, or attempting to create a new one.  Always liked ACT from the very beginning-not sure now.

Side note I also discovered that a "Partial" install of 2006 is taking place.  I completely removed everything and when the install of 2008 was done-I see icons for 2006, folder etc but it doesn't run now that's crazy.  Could they be related?

The problem is that the SQL service doesn't have proper access to that folder.

Was ACT! installed under your user name?

If you have a local IT guy, this is the description - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193453

Basically, you need to check the service permissions to ensure it has full control of that folder and that the folder and file are not marked read-only

That was my thought.  I was checking to see that SQL was running, Act7 was set up as Automatic on the install, turns out (feel stupid here) it was not starting.  Changed it to Local Machine (as it should be) and Voila problem solved.  Must have looked at that 15 times and missed it everytime.  I think I will now retire to a dark corner in shame.  Thanks for the help.

We all get random blindness when looking at issues on our own systems.

All working now?

Working as it should and as it did.  Now if I could only figure out how screwed up Office 2007 Enterprise is and fix it I would be really happy.  Oh I did figure it out, cannot fix it it's MS.  Explains everything.  Oh I'm getting new glasses-cure the random blindness-maybe.

Thanks again for your help.

Is the Office 2007 stuff something related to connecting with ACT! or just general Office issues that you're referring too?

Not certain at this point.  When attempting to write a letter using a Word Template I have starting getting and error message about accessing corrupted memory and other memory being corrupted.  I am going to completely redo a couple of templates and create a couple of new ones to see if the problems is in the templates.  Then attempt a repair on Office if that doesn't fix it.  We have the same problem occuring a two other laptops.  Interestingly the template will open with the merges done and ready to edit.  I really think the problem is in Office 2007, it appears there are a multitude of problems reported on a number of boards.  We'll see.  Maybe scotch will solve the problem-it looks attractive at this point.

Does it happen with all templates or just some?
Also try with the demo database which would have clean templates?

You might try the Office Diagnostics (the new version of Detect and Repair)