Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Create, Auto Fill and search on new Field called Time Zone

Create, Auto Fill and search on new Field called Time Zone

I have ACT 2007 (9.0)

I created a field called Time Zone. Now I would like to have it auto fill based on zip code.

I would then sort contacts by Time Zone for calls.

I live in Eastern Time and do not want to call someone in Pacific Time to early or late.

Has anyone else done this ? If so how ?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Create, Auto Fill and search on new Field called Time Zone

There is not currently a built-in functionality for auto-filling fields in ACT!, but there are a couple of third-party applications that can do this:

Automatic Field Calculations

Auto Fill Fields

Hope one of these helps.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greg,

Thanks for the quick response.

I looked at both and found Auto Fill Fields close to what I am looking for.

Do you know of an application that provides the lookup table to search on zip code and find Time Zone.

Example : Open ACT database add a new or update contact, enter (30127) in Zip code field, the add on program or Macro would search a table, find and fill Time Zone field with (Eastern). From what I could tell neither program suggested provided the Time Zone table.

If not for ACT 2007 how about ACT 2009 ? 

Thanks

Sorry, I do not know of an application like that. As far as I know, with the 2 programs I mentioned that information would need to be entered by the user.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig,

I think I have found a work around. I found a Hotkey program called ZipKey  http://zipkey.com/ that will do the conversion from Zip code to Time Zone.

I created a drop down field in ACT called Time Zone and placed it directly under the Zip Code field.

I can place my cursor in the Zip Code field hit a Hot Key I defined ( alt-z ) and ZipKey pops up.

I then enter the contacts zip code in zipkey and it provides the timezone and back fills the data to ACT.

The only snag so far is it provides a code # not a description, ( 07 instead of Eastern etc. ).

So I modified my drop down list for Time Zone field to show both Value (07) and description (Eastern) but only the value displays in the Time Zone field.

If I try to select a value/description manually, I can see both but only value fills the field.

Do I need to create another field for the description to display ? If so how ? Or do I just need to let the value include the description. ( 07 Eastern )

Thanks for your help, 

Since the description only shows when you access the dropdown list, you would need to include the time zone name as part of the value

Greig Hollister