Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Could not start sync server. ACT! has encountered an error

Could not start sync server. ACT! has encountered an error

Having a frustrating issue (well, just one of many when it comes to Act).

We have Act hosting our database and two remote computers with remote databases synching to the server over the internet.  We had everything set up and running somewhat fine (with MUCH grief), but one of our remote users clicked "OK" when act prompted him to upgrade to the latest version.  Since he was unable to sync with the database, we had to upgrade the server and the other remote computer.  Thinking that it was just a minor patch (10.0.3.xxx to 10.0.3.182) we thought everything would be fine.  After much more grief, we were able to upgrade the other machines and get them running. 

Then all of a sudden, the remote computers can no longer sync.  They just sit at the "initial handshake" forever.  When I looked on the server and tried to click on "accept incoming syncs", a prompt comes up and a progress bar goes across again and again for about 5 minutes "starting sync", then an error message pops up saying "Could not start sync server.  ACT! has encountered an error, please check that the sync server port is able to listen for incoming connections.  Contact your administrator for assistance."  Nothing has changed except the update.  Our router is still forwarding the correct port, etc. 

I tried repairing the Act Internet Sync and the Act Network Sync to no avail.  I tried opening up the demo database and "accept incoming syncs", but it still give me the same error.  I checked the windows event log and didn't find any error relating to Act.

I am stumped.  I have to get this Act to sync, but how can I when the server outright refuses?

Kevin

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Could not start sync server. ACT! has encountered an error

First, if you are using Network or Internet sync, then you do not want to have Accept Incoming Syncs checked.  This turns on Application Sync, which is the default service used when you don't have the other two services installed.

Also, make sure that the versions of Network and Interner sync match the version of the program you have installed (ie, 10.0.3).  You may want to uninstall both services from the server and then reinstall the 10.0.3 services found in these Knowledgebase articles:

How to Obtain the Latest Version of the Network Sync Service for ACT! by Sage Premium 2008

How to Obtain the Latest Version of the Internet Sync Service for ACT! by Sage Premium 2008

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Could not start sync server. ACT! has encountered an error

Thank you.  I reinstalled both Sync services and now two of our computers can sync.  We still have one computer that still can't sync.  We have two licenses for Act professional, but we have it installed on four computers (one server, two desktops, one laptop).  Would we have to have a license for each remote database we create (even if we only need two login accounts for the two people who will use it)?  We just have the third, non-working database on the laptop for convenience so when one of the guys go on the road, they can still access the database and update it.

I thought you just needed to buy a license for each person who needed to log in and use the database. 

Thanks,

Kevin