Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Could not connect to the SQL server instance..". When Launching ACTDiag

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Could not connect to the SQL server instance..". When Launching ACTDiag

I have ACT 2008.  The KB Answer ID 14579 did not help me.  None of the options were applicable to me - the SQL (ACT7) is running, is set to Automatic, as is the SQL Browser Service.  Firewalls for all users have exceptions for ACT and SQL.  This problem is happening for multiple users simultaneously.  Whey would I all of a sudden have to uninstall and reinstall for all of them, including a brand new user?  If I tell the error to run ACTDIAG anyway, then I get an "unhandled exception error" when trying to access the database list.  Pulling my hair out here, any help would be much appreciated.

Have also been running through the advice on the ever popular 19640, to no avail.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author vPSI
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Could not connect to the SQL server instance..". When Launching ACTDiag

This is most likely because you have a failed or missing database attached to your SQL instance. Keep trying to open ACTDiag an when it opens, remove any SUSPECT or MISSING databases. This shoudl clear this error for future opens.
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Solution
Accepted by topic author vPSI
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

This is most likely because you have a failed or missing database attached to your SQL instance. Keep trying to open ACTDiag an when it opens, remove any SUSPECT or MISSING databases. This shoudl clear this error for future opens.
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand
Copper Contributor

Mike - Thanks, I had not done that.  I've downloaded it, and I no longer get the SQL error but I am still getting the other error I mentioned: when I try to open the database list, it tells me I have an unhandled exception error.

Copper Contributor

Rosevear - I agree that is probably true, but I cannot run Actdiag.  Are you suggesting that if I keep trying the same thing, something will change?  (And isn't that the definition of insanity?)

Copper Contributor

Actually Mike, I take it back.  The first time I opened it, the SQL error was gone.  Subsequent attempts show it again.

Platinum Super Contributor

Just to help identify the issue: you aren't having a problem opening/using your database, just getting an error when opening ACTDiag - is that correct?

Since you mentioned multiple users, the assumption is you are sharing a database - be sure you are opening ActDiag on the computer hosting the database.  Users of a shared database can have an SQL installation that is corrupted (even uninstalled) and still be able to access a shared database.

The advice to keep selecting 'Continue' - while may seem like the definition of insanity, is actually benefitial.  If the error message presented displays a different file each time (*.ADF file), then it is simply getting through a list of databases that have been placed in Recover or Suspect status.  If it is the same file being presented each time, you are correct - continuing to select 'Continue' will have no effect.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Rosevear - Actually, you were correct.  I previously clicked continue and the database list did not show up; this time, I clicked continue, clicked on database list, and repeated several times.  It finally allowed me to view the database list, and I removed all those as you directed.  Now I can run Actdiag with no SQL error and no "unhandled exception error."

Thanks all for your advice!

Copper Contributor

Greg - You are correct, I can open an run ACT fine, synchronization works and all that.  The only thing that wouldn't run was actdiag.  You were also correct in that Rosevear's advice was sound, if not exactly explicit.  I've selected Rosevear's as the solution, as though your email was more explicit, that is the on that I saw first and it pointed me in the right direction.  Thanks for your help.