Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Correct database setup read/write permissions

Copper Contributor

Correct database setup read/write permissions

[ Edited ]

We have just changed our server from being totally open mapped drive to a more secure setup where users have access to the public folders.

Act 2010 is working fine after the transition, but as the object was to make the server more secure, is it wise to be sharing the  folder with the ADF file in it?

From what I understand we are set up correctly where we have to give full read/write access to the act folder.

Seems that any future situtations with disgrunteled employees means them purely copying the file and they have access to all the customer names.

Am I wrong in this assumption?

Thanks for any help.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Correct database setup read/write permissions

I'll let other Community members voice their experiences, but here are some thoughts about security:

-The ADF and ALF files are locked by SQL Server, they can only be copied by stopping the SQL Server (ACT7) service on the host computer (or detaching the database from SQL Server). 

- If your users have sufficient access, they can run reports or export to Excel > effectively taking a list of the contacts.

- Even if you lock down all users to Browse security levels to remove reports and export to Excel > a determined person can use print screen to get a list of contact names.

I'm not proposing removing all security, just trying to provide more to think about when asking the security question.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Re: Correct database setup read/write permissions

Thanks Greg - I have to admit I didnt realise you have to stop the SQL server first - if that is the case then the ADF/ALF files will be useless anyway. Permission restrictions are in place so I feel better about that - printscreen - not a lot we can do about that.