Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Copying layout designs

Copper Contributor

Copying layout designs

I created another database, I wanted to copy the layout design to the new database, does anyone know how to do this.

I know in older versions it was possible, using ACT 2010

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Copying layout designs

You can copy the report template from one database to another. However unless the second database structufe is a clone of the first, you may have problems with the template.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello roc045,

You can easily copy your layout files from one database to another. Please see KB Article 14019 for instructions. Please note that the fields in a layout are linked to the fields in the particular database it was created in. If you are copying the layout to another database, then you must have the same fields in both databases. Otherwise you will have to manually link the fields to their placeholders in the layout for the new database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Greig,

How hard would it be, to just create a dup db without the contacts?

Not hard at all. Just go to File > Save Copy As. Choose the option to "Create an empty copy of the database". This will create a copy of the database with none of the contact or user data, but with the same field structure. You will still need to copy over the layout files from the original database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

The layout won't copy with the DB?

No. None of the supplemental files (database files) like layouts, report templates, letter templates, or attachments will copy over.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

I see, I copied the layout over to the new database, Can I copy selected contacts over to the new DB

If you want to copy the contacts and all their data (notes, histories, activities, etc.), then you can do a lookup of the contacts in the original database, then go to File > Export, choose the option to export "Current Lookup" and export them to the copy.

If you just need their contact info (field information), then you can export them to Excel from the original database, then import that Excel file into the copy.

Greig Hollister

Bronze Super Contributor

What would be the advantage of exporting/converting to Excel only to have to import/convert back to ACT!?

Why not just stay with the ACT! to ACT! import/export?