Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Copying history from the Company History to the Contact History

Copying history from the Company History to the Contact History

Someone either by accident or maliciouly deleted 1000 Contact records, thankfully Act, by default copies all contact history to the Company Record History.

Does anyone know of a method to copy this history back to the re-created contact record?

When the Database was created fields were added to the company Record to record the main contacts details, from these records we have re-created the deleted contacts and manged to share the Activities with the newly created contact.

The version we use is Sage ACT! Pro 2013 Version 15.0.301.0

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Copying history from the Company History to the Contact History

It'a the same history, what was seleted was the link from the contact record to the history and that would need to be restored one at a time.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the reply Roy,

Seems to be a very long winded process e.g. if each record has got 10 hisory entries and there are a 1000 records then thats equivalent to copying 10,000 over?  One would have thought that a reverse of the procedure used to create it would be available? 

Regards

John

I don't know if this is a viable option any more but the real fix would have been to do a restore as of the most recent backup with a different name for the database and then do an export of the deleted contacts from the backup to the main database. That would have restored the missing history links.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Unfortunately for some reason restoring the database from the backup failed, and copying each entry individually whilst it creates a copy in the contact recod it also duplicates  the history in the Company record.

It does not appear  that an ideal solution for this problem is available but many thanks for your input Roy.

John

Were you doing the backups through the ACT! backup capability or depending on a server backup? Most server backup won't backup an ACT! database becasue the SQL server has the database files open all the time.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

It was a server backup, for some reason the Act backup doesn't recognise the pad file and doesn't backup sutomatically but does if I do it manually so I have relied on the server, another mistake I now find

The pad file is only a pointer to the actual database. The database ADF and ALF files are kept open by the SQL server all the time. To use only the server backup you would need to use a BAT file to stop the SQL server befoer the backup and another BAT file to restart the SQL server after the backup. The better method is to use the ACT! scheduler to do a backup with the ACT! backup and then use the server backup to include the ACT! backup. Another benefit to the ACT! backup, it dates the backup and you can set the numbr of backups to keep. I typicallly set that to 10 backups. When 10 is reached the oldest is discarded when a new backup is added.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I tried to use Act scheduler first and set it for 10 backups but it did not work. I got this message from the Log file:

Result: Task Not Completed
Errors: Failed to log into the database. Error accessing or processing a PAD file - Q:\06 - ACT\V11\ACTDATA\Databases\Contacts_Management.pad

I cannot get the backup to work when using scheduler yet I can do a manual backup

Make sure you have all the latest hotfixs installed. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129