Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Copying fields within ACT! 2009

Copying fields within ACT! 2009

Hi there.

I have a need to have a contacts name, phone #, SS #, DOB & address in one "information box" on the "home screen".

When I create a contact I of course have all this info put in but I have them put under different custom tabs. What I'm trying to do is make an "important info box" on my homescreen and somehow make copies of those particular fields so they automatically carry into that "important info box". This way I don't have to fish around for the info.

Am I making sense?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Aron

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Copying fields within ACT! 2009

Aron,

There is a product that may do what you are attempting: Abacus Calculated Fields for ACT!.  This program allows you to "add" data from different fields into one field.  I was thinking that it may work with "strings" and that you could easily create a RTF-based text box to store that data in.  Here is the link: Abacus Calculated Fields for ACT!.  I would suggest you call them and ask if it is possible.

MrWright

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately its not what I was looking for. No one else has responded so I'm still lost out here. Problem is that once a question get's a day or 2 old its all but forgotten.........

Copper Elite Contributor

Aron,

I know you said that you are not interested in the Abacus Calculated Fields for ACT!, but I really believe it will do what you are asking it to do.  It says you can combine fields into another field.  You could easily setup a Case and have the data updated everytime you access a contact record, simply by checking wich ones are empty and then combining the remaing fields.  To better see what I'm talking about, just above the Screen Shots, there is a Getting Started with three items under it: Statements, Functions, and Operators.  Click on each of these and it will pop-open a window showing you the available commands and their usage.  One of the one's I suggest is Case, which can be found under Statements.  There are other options under the others as well.

If that doesn't work, you will probably have to hire someone to program a specific function in .Net to achieve your goal.  It is do-able, but to what expense?  Abacus may be a cheaper route for you.

MrWright

Copper Contributor

Dear Aron

Sorry if this is more basic than what you want -- I can't tell from your email how much you know.

It sounds like you just need to mess with your layout (Tools > Design Layouts) and create a new text field in the main Contact Details area, where you can put all that info.  Search ACT's help for "adding fields to layouots" , or see this link: http://tinyurl.com/4prg4p in the knowledgebase.

All this does is create the box you want -- it doesn't have anything to do with automatically copying or mirroring data that is in other fields.

For that it sounds like the Abacus software is the way to go.