Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Copying custom define field data to another computer.

Copying custom define field data to another computer.

[ Edited ]

My friend took the time out to make custom data fields.  He has 2010 Prem, and I have 2010 Basic.

I copied the layout to my computer, and all the fields and tabs show up.  But the fields most of the fields aren't usable.  They are grayed out where you cannot input date.  The date fields and drop down list won't allow you to drop down or click for a date.

My guess is that the Define Fields tab would have to be individually edited.  I do not want to re do what he has already done.  I tried doing a back up, but that won't work because his is Premium and mine is Basic.  I just want the layout and the fields to work. 

Is there a way to copy it in a way that the fields will work?  Again the layout and tabs came over perfect, but the custom fields aren't usable.

Thank you in advance.

Silver Contributor

Re: Copying custom define field data to another computer.

While you can't copy field definitions between databases, your friend can save an empty copy of his database in ACT 2010 Standard format.  

From the premium machine, File, Save Copy AS, Create an empty copy of Database.  In this dialog box, choose Standard ACT 2010 from the database version box.

You will then need to grab the Standard .alf, .adf and suplemental files and move them to your machine. Once on your machine, choose file, open and open the .adf. This will attach the database to SQL and open your database in aCT 2010 Standard.

If the tow need to share data, it would be better to both have the same version and to set up synchronizataion. Far easier.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

I tried it exactly as you stated.  File, Save empty copy as, then changed it to Act 2010.

Once I open the data base on my end it veryfies the file and says, sorry you can only open the database on a matching Act Premium software.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello chriscummings83,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community. This message is due to your friend having the Premium version of ACT! installed and you having a non-Premium install. Unfortunately, you cannot open a Premium database on a Standard install. What your friend will need to do is go to File/Save As, then at the bottom of the Save As screen, change the version from ACT! 2010 Premium to ACT! 2010. This will save a copy in Standard format, which you can open on your machine.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Silver Contributor

Check the versions, help and about, make sure the version number is the same.  Not sure if I misred yours or Gregs post, but the instructions I gave were to save a Standard copy of a database on a premium machine, move it to a macine with the save version of aCT, but the standard version and open it there.  Let me know if this is not what you intended.

(866)710 4228

I checked the Versions.  He has 2010 Financial Professional V12.  I have the Basic 2010 V12.  We both check both software versions and they are both up to date.

I click saved as, and changed it to basic 2010 and it still will not open.

Silver Contributor

It's going to most likely be that he Financial version won't save backwards to a regular standard database.  Regular Premium should save back to regular Standard.  Would probably need someone from Sage to comment on if hte reason for this not working was technical or due to another restriction. 

(866)710 4228