Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Copying Database questions

Copying Database questions

I am using ACT 2008 wiith the contact data housed on a server. One of my databases is used primarily for mail merge purposes with the ACT data fields specifically setup to match one of my data providers.

I now have a different data provider that I would like to try working with to do my mailing with. So what I would like to do is copy my existing mail merge database, rename it, and then delete all the contacts out of it so I dont have to start with a clean database and build all the contact fields all over again.

After reading some threads in this community, I found that one way to do this would be to save a copy of the existing database, rename it, and then proceed from there. The problem is I am unable to save and rename a copy because my data is housed on a server. The program pops up a warning that states it wont allow me to do the copy since the data is on a server.

Can I copy the data that is on the server, place it on my desktop, and go from there? Or perhaps shut down SQL, back up the database to my terminal and then restore? There has to be an easier way...

In addition, I was wondering if there was a fast way to delete all the contact information contained in the database (about 20k worth of records) should I be able to get that far.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

David G

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Copying Database questions

Try, in ACT!:
File | Save As | Empty Copy

That should give you an empty copy ... you can't save it on the server unless you're on the server

Hello GL Computing,

Under the file tab, my verson of ACT only has the option to "save" and to "save copy as."

When I choose "save copy as," the program will not save as my data files are located on a server. Any other ideas on how I can get this done?

Bronze Super Contributor

Is there a reason you can't do what you want from the server?

Didnt try it from the server, but that sounds like a fix.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes, copying or creating databases needs to be done on the machine where the database is