Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Copying 'Database Files' folder contents

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Copying 'Database Files' folder contents

Hi,

I'm using ACT! 2010 SP1 (full version) and I'm having some trouble creating a second database.  I already have a database which was created and is stored on a server, but the problem with that is if the server goes down for whatever reason, all the backups we have of the database will be useless because they must be restored to the server.  We did try to do it the Sage way (having one normal machine host the database locally and share it) but this didn't work, even after an hour on the phone to Sage support.

So now I'm trying to put a system in place which will allow us to still be able to use ACT! if our server fails.  I think the best way to do this would be to work with an empty database with all the custom settings (e.g custom fields, modified layouts, sales processes) which would be stored locally on one machine.  Then when the server is fixed, import the data from the locally stored database into the server-stored database, then carry on working as normal.

The problem is getting the local database created with the custom settings.  I've tried creating an empty copy of the server database, but there is no way to store this locally on another machine.  What I'm wondering is, could I just create a new database on a normal machine and copy the contents of the 'Database Files' folder from our current server database?  This is where the custom settings appear to be stored, so would this solution work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JammyJay
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Copying 'Database Files' folder contents

You had mentioned that you tried using a backup, but could only restore it on the server. This is actually not the case. If you would like to restore a backup of the database that was made on the server to another machine, then use the "Restore As" option when restoring. Then, when you are ready to move that database back to the server, use the copy/move option as described in KB Article 23392. If I understand what you are trying to accomplish, this should work for you.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

JammyJay,

One quick question: Do you have remote databases syncing to the main database on the server?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

No, we just have two client machines accessing the server database normally. If the server went down we would just use one machine and one database until it came back up again.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JammyJay
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

You had mentioned that you tried using a backup, but could only restore it on the server. This is actually not the case. If you would like to restore a backup of the database that was made on the server to another machine, then use the "Restore As" option when restoring. Then, when you are ready to move that database back to the server, use the copy/move option as described in KB Article 23392. If I understand what you are trying to accomplish, this should work for you.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

Thanks ghollister, that was what I was trying to achieve. We should be ok now Smiley Happy