Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Copying ACT! 2010 Database for testing

UNN

Copying ACT! 2010 Database for testing

Hi !

I work at a University in Tech Support.  1 of our school has recently purchased ACT and we're been doing a bit of testing.

Basically we have a database set up on the C: (XP Machine) and we've taken a copy to a temp folder (just incase any files get deleted/corrupt) and we wanted to copy it to a network drive so we run a few tests and see how everything performed.  However, for some reason when it comes to the .ALF and .ALP (i think) files it stops with 'Access Denied'.  I've checked the permissions of the files and they seem all ok.  The database folder copies fine - it's just these 2 files.  I've copied the files to USB which works ok - but it just won't copy them to the network drive.

Has anyone else come across this before?  Any suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Copying ACT! 2010 Database for testing

UNN

This user is a new member of staff with us and she has used previous versions of ACT! before and has done this on many previous occasions.  I have explained to her to use the Restore method as used in the FAQ but she was adamant she's done it this way before and wanted to know why it can't be done now.

Has it always been like this or is it a new feature of 2010?  I'm unfamiliar with this software hence i don't want to ignore someone with lots of experience.

It's been that way since ACT! 2005.

If you manually stop the SQL services, you can copy the files (don't copy the PAD as it needs to be re-created), but Backup/Restore_As is much easier.

UNN

Thanks for the quick replies Mike, i just found it weird i could back them up to USB/other drives - just these 2 files specifically not to network drives.

I'll get her used to using the correct way.

Many Thanks, Phill

Copying the files without shutting down the services can cause the database to become damaged and won't set the share options correctly
UNN

so - would there be any reason why i can copy the files no problem to a USB Drive but not the network drive?   i haven't shut down any of the services by the way.

Yes. A USB drive installs as a local drive, the network drive isn't a local drive. The ACT! database must be on a local drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
UNN

so, the database can not be stored on networked shared drive to be accessed by a number of PC's ?  i just need to confirm this as we're about to purchase a 5 user licence and this will make it useless for our needs.

The ACT! database can be hosted on a shared drive on a network server but the ACT! program must be installed on the server. ACT! doesn't directly control the database but access the database through the SQL server. ACT! must be installed on the server to install the ACT! instance of the SQL server and to service database functions like database modification, user account management, etc. The ACT! program installation on the server doesn't require a separate license because ACT! is licensed to the name user not the machine.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129