Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Copy fields and layout from a custom Contacts tab to a custom Groups Tab

Copy fields and layout from a custom Contacts tab to a custom Groups Tab

In Layout Designer,
       1. I copied (by dragging my mouse from one end to another end diagnolly within the tab) some custom fields (fields that I    
           created) from a tab that I created in a custom Contacts layout,
       2. I then opened a custom Groups layout that I previously created in Layout Designer,
       3. I created a new custom tab and then pasted the fields.
What I got was all of the look, not only the text labels but also grey boxes as I had laid them out in the cusom Contacts tab.
NOW what I find perculiar is the fact that when I double click the aforementioed grey boxes within the Layout Designer I am prompted to choose from the Contacts fields that I created and NOT the Groups fields. However, when I click a new field within the Layout Designer and drag it onto my new custom tab within the custom Groups layout I am prompted to enter Groups fields.

Is this a bug?
Why is this cross-over happening?
What will happen if I choose to use the Contacts fields within the Groups fields?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Copy fields and layout from a custom Contacts tab to a custom Groups Tab

You can't add Contact fields to the Group layout ... you'd need to create Group fields.

Copying them in the Layout won't work (as you've seen) because the Group can only see Group fields

No, quite the opposite. As I mentioned, in Layout Designer within Groups layout, on my custom tab that I copied information from the Contacts layout, when double clicking the grey boxes (pasted from my copy), I am only allowed to choose from the Contacts fields and not the Groups fields. Only when do I select a new field within the Groups Layout Designer and not the double clicking the grey pasted boxes do I have access to the Groups fields only.

Platinum Elite Contributor

It'll be because the XML in those fields will think they are Contact fields. You need to re-create them in the groups layout unless you want to try and play with the XML

I'm having the same problems, but I copied the tab layout from the basic contact layout 1024x768 view to the basic contact layout 1366x768 view. Any updates on making the boxes not grayed out? 

Hi Zoe,

There should be no issue with copying fields from Contact layout to Contact Layout as the fields will be pulled from the same place.

Would you be able to advise on the version of Act that you are using? and the steps you have taken to see the boxes go greyed out.

Nevermind, I figured it out

Hi Zoe,

Would you mind posting how you managed to resolve this, as it may help other users.

I double clicked on each of the boxes, while I was in Contact - Design Layout. Then I double clicked on each of the field that these boxes were supposed to represent, before hitting cancel on the popup box.