Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Copy and Merge New Contacts to a Database on another computer

Copy and Merge New Contacts to a Database on another computer

What is the best way to handle updating an ACT database on one computer with additional contacts from an ACT database on another computer? Backup? Save Copy As? Export and Import as a .txt file? What is the difference between save copy as copy database and create empty copy? Is it better to copy the whole database or just the look up of additional contacts?
Nickel Contributor

Re: Copy and Merge New Contacts to a Database on another computer

How many new contacts are you moving over?  Are you just wanting to move some contacts over to the new database?  Or do you have changed data in various contacts that you just want to merge?

one way of moving the new contacts over would be easiest if both databases are on the same machine. To do that, create a backupup of your database and copy it over to the other machine.  Do a restore as on that machine. Now you have both databases on the same machine.

Now you can open one database and do a lookup of the contacts you want to copy. Now you can use the export wizard to copy those contacts into the other database.

have a look here for a list of knowledgebase articles to help you out.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

I have about 350 new contacts to merge into the other database. I understand your premise. Instead of merging the two databases, why not just copy the new one over and delete the original database? That wouldn't work if I want to keep existing info from the original database, though. Then I would need to export only the new contacts into the original in order to keep existing info in the original. Adding new contacts to the original database on the other computer will be something I will need to do on a quarterly basis. Since we are not networked, is a backup restored the only way to do this?  What about exporting a specific lookup to a .csv text file and then importing it to the other original database? Thanks for your help.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The export to CSV will not include any note/history/activity/opportunity information.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I am in sales.  I enter data into my ACT database.  My service tech also uses my database on his computer on his own copy of ACT.  When he creates history with Shift F4, he gets an accounting of what he did for the day.  I need to have that info in my own database.  Can we merge the two databases so I get the history for my tech, without destroying my own database?

Thanks in advance.

Prior Sayin

Platinum Elite Contributor

There isn't a simple answer. You can do that but there are a number of caveats. Do you each have a separate license for the ACT! program? If so, both licenses would need to be applies to both databases. Both users would need to show in both databases, etc. Assuming this is an onging need rather than a one time occurrence, you should set up synchronization.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129