Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Converting to Sage Act 2011

Copper Contributor

Converting to Sage Act 2011

Conversion has been halted with the following message: The opportunity_field_1 field does not support a value size greater than 64.???? Does anyone know what that means or how to fix it?

Copper Contributor

Re: Converting to Sage Act 2011

You have a Opportunity field that will allow more than 64 characters. You will have to redefine it's parameters.

What is the  version of the old database? Open the database in the old version. Go to Tools Define Fields. Edit the field in the error message and check if it allows more than 64 characters.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the speedy response.  I'm converting from version Act 6.03 to Act 2011. It looks like 6.03 puts "Define Fields" under the "Edit" Tab. When I open up "Define Fields" I do get a listing of all the fields and the option to change the number of characters in them but there is no field called Opportunity. Is there another name for opportunity? Or should I maybe looking for another field?

Copper Contributor

So in this ACT! 6 database do you have Sales Opportunity data? Act! 2011 has a field "opportunity_field_1"  and it is set to 64 characters by default. You must have data ACT! is trying to stuff there but is longer than 64?

Try this? Do a save as empty copy in ACT! 6. Try to convert that. Still get error? Different error? If that converts then there is something in your Sales Opportunities.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for helping me through this.  I did what you said and brought over an empty database and now I'm getting an error saying, "The database cannot open because one or more of the files are missing.  Reindex the database and open database again." I've tried reindexing the database but I keep getting the same error.  Do you know of anything else I can try? 

Platinum Super Contributor

Be sure to open the empty database in the old version before attempting the conversion. It will create the index files for the database at that time. Then close it and attempt the conversion.

Are the old and the current versions of ACT! on the same computer?
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

My plan is to go into work on a Saturday when everyone is off and make the switch from the old version of ACT! to the new version.  Before I do that I want to make sure I'm not going to be hit with a whole bunch of problems in the process.  So what I did was take a copy of the database.  I'm basically testing it locally on a computer running windows 7 and the new Act.  Anytime I have to make any changes such as creating index files or doing a compact and repair I have to transfer the database to my xp machine running old Act, make the changes then transfer it back.  But when I run it through the conversion I am faced with the errors.  I just took a brand new copy of the database today to start back from the begining and the latest error I'm getting inutes) is:

Conversion has been halted with the following message: Value Cannot be Null. Parameter Name: File.

Copper Contributor

Does anyone know what my next step should be?

Copper Contributor

The last thing I've tried was to save my old database as an empty database. That converted succesfully. So I guess that proves that there is a problem with the actual data in the database. Does anyone know where I would start in troubleshooting the actual data?

Copper Contributor

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows how to add a field that is linked to an item in a drop down menu. I basically have a drop down box with a list of companies. This drop down box is label "Referred By." I just want to put "other" as an option in the drop down list. And when you click on "other" I want a text box to appear so the user can enter in manual who referred them if it is not another option in the list. (This is on my contacts screen.)