Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Converting & Sharing Database

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Converting & Sharing Database

According to Microsoft, this is usually because the latest SQL updates haven't been applied:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982854

You might try applying all updates from Microsoft Update and see how that goes.
Copper Contributor

Hello again,

I spent some time doing all the Windows updates and SQL server updates and tried installing the correct MS hotfix for the "insufficient system memory" error as you describe. I found the MS site a little confusing as to which hotfix to install, but I tried the cumulative one that said it shoudl fix all prior issues. I tried the demo database again and still got the same error so I checked the firewall and that seems fine so I'm not sure what it could be. I appreciate your help, but I just don't think it's going to work for us.

Astute Commentator

If you have already successfully converted the ACT! 6 data, creating an ACT! 2012 database on a workstation, perhaps the simplest thing to do is to create a backup from the ACT! file menu of the new ACT! 2012 database.
Cool iPad 3 Cases | Cool iPad 2 Cases
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, I have already tried the restore on our server from a backup of the converted database, but I got an error during the process. Here's the first part:

"ACT.DATA.ACT.Db.Exception" Directory Lookup for the File "F:\ACT 2012\TEST.ADF" Failed with Operating System Error 3

(The system cannot find the path specified)

File: 'ACT_Data' Cannot be Restored to F:\ACT\2012\TEST.ADF' Use MOVE WITH to identify a valid location for the file.

There was a lot more than I can type here, it also said something about "SQL Exception, Boolean break Connection"

I then tried to save a copy of the databse on the server and got an error about the copy needing to be saved on the same machine so that wont work since I was trying to put it on our server from my local computer.

I was told this is probably an SQL error that could be fixed with a MS hotfix, but I've tried a number of them and no luck.

I can use the converted database on a single computer just fine, but cannot get it onto the server to share with another computer.  

Thanks.

I am getting a similar error.  It says the backup from my older computer was created with 662 and this version supports 621 and earlier, a downgrade is not available.

It's now been 6 days and countless hours trying to get this data converted over and I will now resort to a dBase import and go through each of the 2,400 contacts to uipdate the notes field.  when I get this complete, I honestly have to say this is the VERY LAST ACT! Program I will ever go to.  I'll begin on planning for the migration to another program, and at this point I really dont care what it is.  I simply cannot keep putting tyhe time and effort at chasing ACT to make sure it runs properly.

Once I get my version of ACT 2011 stable I'll stick with it, of course that is till Windoes does another update and throwes this program into another tail spin.