06-11-2012 01:16 PM
I'm trying to convert Version 6.0 to Pro 2012 and having difficulty sharing the database in a 2 user enviroment. I understand I need to install it on the server, which I've done, but now I'm having trouble converting our old ACT! 6 database on the server to 2012. I'm getting some sort of SQL error saying it's in use? I'm not sure how to convert it without triggering this error since I'm in ACT to do the conversion. I tried converting it locally and had no problem. Is there anyway to move this converted file onto the server?
Any help would be appreciated as I need to get it up and running quickly. P.S. have about 3000 contacts we manage.
06-12-2012 06:13 AM
If you have already successfully converted the ACT! 6 data, creating an ACT! 2012 database on a workstation, perhaps the simplest thing to do is to create a backup from the ACT! file menu of the new ACT! 2012 database.
Specify in the back up process to save the back up zip file to a location on the server (or save it locally and then copy it via USB or network or whatever works for you).
Then, on the server, use the ACT! "Restore As" function from the file menu in ACT! to restore your 2012 backup to the desired location on you server. This will set up the database on the server, and once completed you will be able to share it.
Hope that makes sense.
06-12-2012 12:30 PM
I tried the restore on our server as you describe and really thought that would work, but I got an error during the process.
Here's the first part:
"ACT.DATA.ACT.Db.Exception" Directory Lookup for the File "F:\ACT 2012\TEST.ADF" Failed with Operating System Error 3
(The system cannot find the path specified)
File: 'ACT_Data' Cannot be Restored to F:\ACT\2012\TEST.ADF' Use MOVE WITH to identify a valid location for the file.
There was a lot more than I can type here, it also said something about "SQL Exception, Boolean break Connection"
I then tried to save a copy of the databse on the server and got an error about the copy needing to be saved on the same machine so that wont work since I was trying to put it on our server from my local computer.
I appreciate your help, any ideas why I may be getting the first error when trying to restore? I was hoping this would be simply, but it looks more complex than I first thought.
06-13-2012 05:42 AM
06-13-2012 05:58 AM
Just to summarize what I've done so far: I have an old version 6.0 database that we share on our server and I converted that to Pro 2012 on my local computer for testing and it works fine. The problem I'm having is getting that converted database file onto our server. I've installed the software on the server which went fine, but when I tried to convert the database there it didn't work - some SQL error. So next I tried backing it up from the local computer where I know it works, zipping it and then restoring on the server. That's when I got the error I previously reported. I can't seem to find a way to get that converted database file onto our server. Am I missing something? Thank you for the help.
06-13-2012 06:06 AM
06-13-2012 01:38 PM
I created a new folder on our server named "ACT 2012" and placed the backed up zip file there and tried to restore it on the server as suggested. I'll try to get you the full error. The demo database didn't work either. I wonder if my problem is more a hardware/memory issue. It's a few years old, but works well with other programs.
06-13-2012 01:46 PM
06-14-2012 06:42 AM
06-18-2012 11:55 AM
Sorry it took me a while to get back on this. Here's part of the report/error message I get when I try to open the demo database on our sever:
Creat Version: 661
Configuration option 'user instances enabled' changed from 0 to 0. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.
Current Build 14.0.510.0
Update Build: 14.0.510.2
Setting Previous Schema Values: 14.0.510.0 TO 14.0.510.2DBCC execution copmpleted.
(then there is pages of code about settings, Constraints, etc so I can't include all that here, but it end with
*************Schema Update Failed*******************
**********Exception message follows****************
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: There is insuffuicient system memory in resource pool 'internal' to run this query.
Microsft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.ExceuteSql(ExecuteTsqlAction action, Object execObject,
Dataset fillDataset, Boolean catchException)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery (String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)
Schema Update failed