Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Converting a db from ACT! v6.0 to ACT! 2007 v 9.0?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Converting a db from ACT! v6.0 to ACT! 2007 v 9.0?

(I just purchased ACT! 2007 v 9.0 but have not received it yet).

I Just have a few questions:

1. Can ACT! v6, AND ACT! 2007 v 9.0 exist installed in different folders on the same computer, or will the v9.0 install overright, or upgrade the v6.0 install?

2. Is it fairly easy to upgrade a v6.0 database to v9.0? Including all the customizations like the layout file and sync settings?

3. Just to be sure, ACT! 2007 v 9.0 layouts and sync setup are database specific right? You can use 2 different layouts and sync setups with 2 different databases without having to change the layout or sync settings when you open each of the 2 databases every time, is that correct?

Anyway, I have a db for my company created in v6.0 and need to keep it (and continue using it), or upgrade it for use the v9.0 ACT! Then I need to create a new database that will also be used daily in v9.0.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tony

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Converting a db from ACT! v6.0 to ACT! 2007 v 9.0?

1. Can ACT! v6, AND ACT! 2007 v 9.0 exist installed in different folders on the same computer, or will the v9.0 install overright, or upgrade the v6.0 install?

- Yes, ACT! 6.0 and ACT! 2007 can exist on the same computer.

2. Is it fairly easy to upgrade a v6.0 database to v9.0? Including all the customizations like the layout file and sync settings?

- Yes, the conversion process is rather easy. Sync settings will not retain and you will need to setup application sync and create remote databases.

How to Convert ACT! 3.x - 6.x Database to ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) Database

How to Convert ACT! 3.x - 6.x Layouts to ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0)

How To Set Up Application Synchronization in ACT!  

Click Here for more knowledge base articles on how to convert reports, templates, etc...

3. Just to be sure, ACT! 2007 v 9.0 layouts and sync setup are database specific right? You can use 2 different layouts and sync setups with 2 different databases without having to change the layout or sync settings when you open each of the 2 databases every time, is that correct?

- Correct, layouts and sync setup are database specific.  With the standard edition, in order to sync, the main database needs to be open.  Which means, only one main database can sync at a time.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

- Yes, ACT! 6.0 and ACT! 2007 can exist on the same computer.

- Yes, the conversion process is rather easy. Sync settings will not retain and you will need to setup application sync and create remote databases.

How to Convert ACT! 3.x - 6.x Database to ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) Database

How to Convert ACT! 3.x - 6.x Layouts to ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0)

How To Set Up Application Synchronization in ACT!  

Click Here for more knowledge base articles on how to convert reports, templates, etc...

- Correct, layouts and sync setup are database specific.  With the standard edition, in order to sync, the main database needs to be open.  Which means, only one main database can sync at a time.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it very much.
Platinum Elite Contributor

There is only one area to know with having ACT! 6.0 and a later version on the same machine... if you connect to Outlook, only the last version installed will still have the connection working

Hi, my old computer crashed and I lost Act. 6.0.  I did backup my database, and bought Act. 9.0.  However, in attempting to use the database conversion wizard (I selected Act 3.0-6.0) an error message popped up that said "The specified module could not be found (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

Can anyone tell me what that means?

Thanks,

Eric

ericschwilk wrote:

Hi, my old computer crashed and I lost Act. 6.0.  I did backup my database, and bought Act. 9.0.  However, in attempting to use the database conversion wizard (I selected Act 3.0-6.0) an error message popped up that said "The specified module could not be found (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)

What build of ACT! 9 (from Help | About)?

At what point did you get this error?

Do you have the ACT! 6.0 demo that you could try with?

Thanks for the reply!  I have version 9.0.1.162

I don't believe I have a 6.0 demo.  My old computer crashed and they rebuilt it... I think they gave me a new hard drive. 

What I tried was the following:

"Open Database"

Click "ACT! 3 - 6 Database *.DBF

click on filename (BRGfilename.dbf)

Hit Open

"Welcome to the Database Conversion Wizard" comes up, and I hit Next>

Then I get the message "The specified module could not be found (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)"

I tried it just using the Restore Database function and a different error when I do the following:

File/restore database

click "restore as" button

Hit "Browse database" and look for the file in my backup folder that was copied from the disc that I had (BRGfilename which is a zip file)

I then enter a database name and location, and log into the database with my username/password. 

At that point, I get an error message that says "The file you are attempting to restore does not contain an ACT! backup." 

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Copper Elite Contributor

ericschwilk wrote:

Can anyone tell me what that means?

Thanks,

Eric

Run the conversion on a different machine, this is an issue with Office. A different machine should yield sucessful results

Scott Lahn
Sage ACT! Customer Support