Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Converting a database from Acto 2008 Premium to Act 2008 Standard

Converting a database from Acto 2008 Premium to Act 2008 Standard

Hi,
I have tried the Act 2008 Premium for 25 days and decided to purchase the Act 200 standard then.
I uninstalled the Act 2008 Premium (trial) and installed Act 2008 standard. It works fine but says cannot open the database version of Act 2008 Premium. My file is there with the work of the last 25 days.
Any idea on how I can make use of it in the standard version?

Thanks

Riccardo
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Converting a database from Acto 2008 Premium to Act 2008 Standard

You will need to uninstall the Standard version, re-install the Premium version, Save the database as a Standard version.

You'll need to do this within 30-days of the original install of the Premium version

Dear Mike,
I was reading the blog for some time.
When I posted my question I was sure I would have received an eficient answer from you.
Thanks so much

Riccardo
Nickel Super Contributor

You can use a reg hack to do this.

Open regedit
Expland HKLM\Software\ACT\Install

Change ProductID to ACT10Premium
Change Type to Workgroup

Close regedit open your db in act.  Click File Save Copy As, change type to ACT! 2008.

After you are done close act, change the keys to:

ProductID - ACT10Standard
Type - Standard

As always make sure you back up your registry first.

Tom

Wow Tom... I've not heard that one.

That seems to imply standard can open the Premium database? Must try and see how much works (or doesn't) like that.

I'd want to make sure you have a backup of the database first - as you might not be able to do this in Standard with the hack, you'll need to stop the SQL services and manually copy the files.
Nickel Super Contributor

It can indeed, it is the serial number which provides restrictions along with those keys.  To see for youself install ACT! standard, change the keys and open the demo db.  It will prompt you to upgrade it to the workgroups product. Once it has upgarded it it opens fine.  Close the db, change the keys back to standard, open it again and it will tell you its a workgroups db and you need a premium product to open it.  Change the keys to workgroup and premium and you can open it and take a save copy as.  Cool eh Smiley Happy

Tom

Will try when I get a change... but the files for standard and Premium are quite different sizes. So there must be something changed.

I know Premium ST and EX are the same with one line in the INI to install CD2 on a server OS being the only difference and the serial decides which.
Nickel Super Contributor

I'm sure there are some differences but for converting down a db when you already have standard installed its much quicker than uninstall/reinstall a couple of times.  I wouldn't reccomend it as a long term solution.

Tom

TDavis wrote:
I'm sure there are some differences but for converting down a db when you already have standard installed its much quicker than uninstall/reinstall a couple of times.  I wouldn't reccomend it as a long term solution.

Tom

I guess you done it before... does Sage use this fix? Or is it known in ACC news server?
Nickel Super Contributor

I found it in the kb a long time back for ACT! 8 or something.  Can't find it now though.

Tom