Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Converting Act 2010 to Single User from Network

Converting Act 2010 to Single User from Network

I previously used Act 2010 where the master database resided on another persons computer and we shared that database via sql server.  I am attempting to create a new database to use as stand alone database without sharing and would like to receive help in how to have Act 2010 stop looking for the network.

It is not necessary for me to be able to access the shared database any longer.  Please help if you can

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Converting Act 2010 to Single User from Network

Hello jimratcliffe,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. To create a new database on your local machine, just go to File > New > Database. In the dialog there will be box to share the database - just leave it unchecked. The new database will be on your machine and not accessible via a network.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I am unable to launch the program or use the create new database option on the main landing page because it says it cannot find network
Platinum Elite Contributor

What is the exact error message?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Super Contributor

In this case, the simplest thing to do is likely A) Go back to the PC where the original database was installed (the other person's PC) and manage your functions there, that way you do not have to try to figure out what is up with the network.

Alternatively, B) Do a Restore As with a backup of the database created earlier when it was set up for both of you.  You will give it a new name and install it locally on your PC.  (It's a good idea to create a new folder - c:\ACTData - off the root of your local drive to make it nice and easy to find.)

A couple of things to keep in mind:

Creating a New database from the File Menu will do just that - create a brand new, EMPTY database (i.e. - no records!).  If that is what you want, then fine, but if you are expecting to have all of your data, this is not the way to do what you are looking for.

Barring not having a recent backup of the original datatbase that you can restore as mentioned, on the other PC, you can create one on the other machine, save the zip to a common location on the network, return to your PC and do the Restore As.  This will allow you in essence to create an exact replica of the original on your PC.

As far as no longer having it be "networked", you just don't turn on "Share Database" from the Tools menu, and even if someone was able to somehow "see" the folder where the database is on your PC, they still couldn't login in to it.  Further, if you felt the need, you could make any other users in the database inactive...

Hope that helps.