Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Converting Act 2000 to Act 10 on a new computer

Converting Act 2000 to Act 10 on a new computer

My question is that I have purchased a new computer along with Act 10. I loaded the Act 10 with the plan to load and convert Act 2000 to it. I am having trouble loading Act 2000. Should I uninstall Act 10 and load Act 2000 and then convert? On removing ACT 10 should I go through the uninstall on the program or go through Microsoft change/delete?  I am running Windows XP. Thanks for any guidance.
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Converting Act 2000 to Act 10 on a new computer

You should be able to install ACT 2000 after installing 2008. Are you getting an error when attemping to install? Also, are you running Norton Antivirus? ACT 2000/2004 both write to registry keys that are locked down by the newer versions on Norton.

I am using AVG Anti software/Spyware on my new computer. I have Nortons on my old one. I am getting an error at the start of the conversion. I have copied all the Act 2000 files which might be part of the problem instead of just the DBF. I could have some corruption issues on Act 2000 which my database was upgraded from some earlier versions on Act. When starting the conversion off my cd there are three options to open file. None are working plus I am getting the error. I don't if it is due to the different operating systems.

I have mulitple databases which I don't know is helping the situation either.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks    
Nickel Super Contributor

Beau,

First thing I would recommend is copying the database files to a local folder on the new machine. You were correct in grabbing all files because if you only had the dbf file, you would never be able to open the database.

After moving the database local, attempt to open it within ACT 5. Once that is complete, I would highly recommend you run maintenance on the database using the ACTDiag for ACT 5 You can fine more info on the Diag at this kb http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=11660 Note, it's for ACT 5 and 6.

Once you have finished that, then try and convert your database to ACT 2008.

A. Jones,
Thanks for the help. I will try it this afternoon to see what happens. Should I uninstall Act 10 prior to installing Act 5 or let it go. You mentioned setting up a local file for my copied database and files. I assume you mean set up new file under documents or program files and then transfer into Act 5 once it is install. Sorry, I am a little computer slow. Thanks again.
Nickel Super Contributor

Beau,

I would let it go. They should be fine as is.

What I would recommend is under My Computer/C Drive, create a new folder there, maybe call it ACT 5 DB, and copy the files to that folder. Then try and convert it from that location.