Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Converting ACT 6 to ACT 2010

Converting ACT 6 to ACT 2010

I followed all the instructions for converting from ACT 6 to ACT 2010 and received the error message "StartIndex cannot be less than zero." Apparently this indicates corrupted files. So I then found and followed all the instructions for removing the corrupted files, reindexing and then attempted the conversion again, only to receive the same error message. Can anyone please help me with this.

TIA

Kelly Moore

kelly@musicformankind.net

802-362-3806

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Converting ACT 6 to ACT 2010

It sounds like the database is damaged such that the available field repairs won't clear the problem. It likely needs to be sent in for a full repair.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Super Contributor

Here are some additional steps to try to get your database to convert:

- create an empty copy of your V6 database (under File > Save Copy As) and then attempt to convert the new empty database to 2010. 

If it will convert:

- Delete the converted empty database in 2010 (Tools > Database Maintenance > Delete Database).  It will only delete the currently opened database.

- Import the data from the original V6 database into the empty V6 database (created earlier)

- Once the import is complete, attempt to convert the newly populated V6 database

If the empty V6 database will not convert:

- Create a new database in V6

- Manually add customized fields to match original V6 database

- Import original V6 database into the new V6 database

- Attempt conversionn to 2010

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply. This all makes great sense. I created the empty database and backed it up to my external hardrive, then attempted to convert to the laptop. I am still able to find the origianl database (labeled Contacts) on the harddrive, but no matter what I name the empty database, ACT 2010 won't show it on the list. It's backed up in the same file of ACT as the orig (ACT/Database/). The only difference is the actual database name. I have verified on both computers that it is in the folder, yet ACT 2010 doesn't "see" it.

Please advise. And thank you for your help.

Kelly