Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Converting 6.0 database to 2013 premium

Converting 6.0 database to 2013 premium

I am getting an error when trying to convert the database from 6.0 to 2013 premium. It is telling me that there is an invalid user name and/or password, and or a damaged database. I ran the actdiag before saving it, so that can't be it, and I've set the password both in the 6.0 and 2013 version to be the same. Any chance you can help me out here? I've been working on this problem for what seems weeks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Converting 6.0 database to 2013 premium

This was no help. It was only telling me to do what I already said I have done. I am getting to the wizard, but it is telling me there is a problem. Thank you, but not a solution.

There are problems with your ACT! 6 database that can't be fixed by the ACTDiag. ACTDiag only detects and fixes broken links between records and tables, it doesn't fix corruption within a table. Given the errors you are getting the most likely table with corruption is the BLB file. You will likely need to have the database repaired.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

You might try Red Flags (from that article), it fixes many more things than ACTDIAG ...failing that, you'll need to get the database repaired as Roy suggests
Silver Contributor

I"m not sure of your process, and the could be part of it.  What do you mean you set in the 2013 and ACT 6?  YOu can't import an ACT 6.0 database into an ACT 2013 database, You must first convert to 2013, and them import.  If you have abunch to do, i'd merge them all in ACT 6 and then just convert a single datbase.

Don't believe all aCT diag says, it's not always all of the story.

Can you comment on your process?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

I have one .dbf file in Act 6.0 that has 1250 contacts that I am trying to transfer to 2013 Premium (on a different computer). I have run actdiag on this, gotten all green checks, yet when I go to 2013 and use the Database Conversion Wizard, after selecting the dbf file and click next, the wizard crashes. I now assume that the database is somehow corrupt, but am not sure that I want to spend the $150 on Red Flags to try to fix it, and my support period has ended. (Unfortunately, almost as soon as I'd downloaded the software, I was called out of town, and was gone during most of the trial period) 

I guess at this point, the expenses of trying to get it fixed about outweigh the cost to just have the file updated manually, unless there are any better suggestions.

Thank you for trying to assist.

The actual window that opens says:
There is a problem opening the database. Possible causes may be an invalid user name and or password or damaged database. See help for more information.
Silver Contributor

Do you  have an entire ACT database?  (not just the dbf file?)

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Yes, the entire program is being used on a different, older computer. I was trying to update to a newer computer, which required a newer software edition.

Does this give you any new ideas???