Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Convert Remote Database to Main Database

Copper Contributor

Convert Remote Database to Main Database

My main database was on my desktop PC and my laptop was the remote. My desktop PC failed and I don't plan to replace it. How do I make my remote database my main database?

Thank you.

Dan

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Convert Remote Database to Main Database

Hi Dan, yes, you can your remote database into your main database. You can then create a new remote for your laptop.

KB 14273 is what you're looking for.

I've done this a few times for clients.

Ben.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Unless you already have a good db backup not on your failed desktop pc.

Then it seems you could just do the restore as  from your  db backup?

Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Copper Contributor

Ben, thank you for your reply. I'm kind of reconsidering my options. As you will recall, in my request I mentioned that I don't plan to repair my desktop. In that case, I will only use my laptop and would then not need a new remote. But I've decided to get a price for repair and will consider keeping it based on cost. So now I have two questions if you will please help me.

1. If I do decide to scrap my desktop, I will need to convert my remote db to main. You said it can be done, that you've done it, but could I ask you to tell me how? (I won't need a new remote.)

2. Everytime I open ACT! 2010, I get a message that I have not synchronized in xx days. If I don't syncrhonize, my subscription will expire. Question is, how do I change the deadline on the expiration. (The error doesn't say how long before expiration, which makes no sense to leave it out)

Noting you're in Australia, I sure hope your flooding issues have subsided. I hope you and your loved ones were not affected.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Dan

Copper Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I find ACT! 2010 ridiculously complicated compared to the version I upgraded from (2000). Things that should be simple, such as, Restore As, have proven not to be simple. The last time I tried I Restore As, I ended up having to get tech support help. However, in the defense of Sage ACT!, I didn't review  Restore documents prior to running the Restore. But who would think to do that?

Regardless, just so that I am clear, are you suggesting to back up my laptop's remote db then Restore As from it?

Thanks again.

Dan