Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Convert 2008 for Web database to standard 2008 database.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Convert 2008 for Web database to standard 2008 database.

bought act 2008 v10 for 5 users. Several months later, bought act 2008 for web. have used "for web" version for about a year. want to convert database back to act 2008 format as act 2008 cannot open the "for web" backups. cannot find any instructions on how this can be done - or even if it can be done. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author rjamison
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Convert 2008 for Web database to standard 2008 database.

Got to "the database has been updated. Click to continue." I did and it did. I opened a couple of contacts just to check on attached docs and they are where they should be ... at least as far as I checked.

I've used ACT since ACT 1.0 and dealt with them many times on technical issues. Over the last 5 or so years, the caliber of their help dropped dramatically. I suspect that was from all the times they sold the company. I can't tell you how long I suffered with them when they brought out 7.0 with the SQL server rework.

I called to use the last of my paid service with them and got several opinions on how to do what I needed to do. That's why I thought I'd try the ACT community when I saw it. You gave me a very quick, clear way to do it. You really know your s**t -- and I mean that in a complementary way.

Thanks very much. I would guess you are one of the ACT certified people. I've had little experience with them but it wasn't all good. Where are you geographically?

Rich

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

You will have to do Save Copy As from the Act 2008 Premium for Web desktop client (Not your web browser)

File -> Save Copy As

Then enter a new database name, and select where you want to save it, change the dropdown at the bottom to "Act 2008" (Not premium)

The resulting database can then be opened with the Act 2008 standard client.

Couple of things to note, custom templates/layouts/attachments do _not_ get transferred to the new copy of the database.

You will have to manually move those from your old database's "database-files" folder, into the new database file structure.

Nick Bohne
Effective Solutions, Inc.
Copper Contributor

Nick,

Thanks very much. As to moving the files manually, is that as simple as a drag and drop procedure? And which folders will I need to move? Will it be only the "attachments" and "layouts"?

Really appreciate the help.

Rich

Copper Elite Contributor

Just copy the contents of "-database files" folder from one to the other, drag and drop is fine, overwrite any existing files.  Backup first, incase you copy the wrong direction or something :-P

Nick Bohne
Copper Contributor

Nick,

I have to round up all my standard Act disk (to reinstall) but will do so and let you know how it went as soon as I can get it done.

Thanks for your help. I've been using Act since 1.0 and still get caught every once in a while. It's almost as though they change stuff just ot keep us on our toes. This one caught me flatfooted.

Have an awesome day!

Rich

Copper Contributor

Nick,

It didn't work. Here's a recap of wht I did and what happened.

Had the guy at the data center where this has been hosted run the save a copy as and ACT 2008 (not Premium).

FTP'd the files to my machine - his process gave me .pad, .adf & .alf files.

FTP'd the entire database files folder for this database to my machine

Put them all under the Databases folder in ACT for Windows 10 folder

Attempted to run by Open and selecting the pad file for the database

ACT thinks for 30 seconds or so and tells me "the database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

Current status: I am running on my own machine so there should be no network issue

I can open an older database that never went to the Web version and the demo database okay

Two of us were using this DB on via the web earlier today so sharing shouldn't be an issue. We closed it for the data center fellow to run that  Save Copy As routine.

I haven't a clue what to try next. Any further thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

Rich 

Copper Elite Contributor

When you open the database, change the file type to ".adf" not ".pad", it will then say "Act needs to verify the database" and then it will open, from then on you can open the database normally
Nick Bohne
Copper Contributor

do you mean literally change the name of the file or do you mean drill down in explored to the adf file and try opening from that file?
Copper Elite Contributor

Nope, in Act, File->Open Database, at the bottom there is a dropdown, change it to .adf
Nick Bohne
Copper Contributor

Duh. I guress I can claim it's late on a Friday afternoon. It seems to be working as it said it needed to verify the database and it is updating it now. More to follow when it's done.