Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Conversion to V11

Conversion to V11

Trying to convert an ACT 6.0 database to ACt2009 and have the follow problem. Not sure of the easiest way to fix it. The error I get is "exceeds the allowed length". The error is happening because somedody has copied parts of emails in the email message "Type". Is there a way I can change the number of characters allowed in this field? If not I will need to go through each record to check for this.

Any help would be great

Thanks, Nic

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Conversion to V11

Hi

You would not normally be able to paste to this 'Type' system field, it sound more like corruption.

Have you tried repairing using ACTDIAG?  This is a utility you will find in the ACT directory under Program Files.

You often have to run 2 or 3 times. If that does not work create a new empty database and then sync to it. This often removes non allowed data.

Chip

Re: Conversion to V11

I had the same error message when attempting to convert my Act6 database to Act2009 last week. In my case it was complaining about the length of a notes entry. If I manually edited the note to below 256 characters then the conversion would continue until the next long note. I gave up on this as we have many such notes. (There is no such limit on the length of notes in Act2009!) The only solution I found, was to choose the option to copy files rather than link to them in the conversion utility. <-Sorry, I don't remember the exact terms used. This converted my database without problems.

Hope this helps

Simon