Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Conversion/Transfer: Multiple Problems

Conversion/Transfer: Multiple Problems

Used Act off and on since late 80s (really).   Currently have five infrequently used but important databases that were running under ACT 2005.  I last opened them in January based on the file dates. 

My hard drivesubsequently crashed (Windows XP).  Built new PC - Win 7 64 bit, installed Act 2011.

Had backed up my databases (and can retrieve data from the drive as well). If possible I would like to restore from the database filesrather than backup due to the age of my backup (although I used the database so infrequently it was likely the databases have been static for awhile).

I tried restoring, with no success initially, then tried copying over the files, with no success.

Which approach to getting the db over is recommended?

If I use the files rather than backup, the pc the drive is slaved on is not running sql server.  When the drive crashed, sql server was likely running. Do I just skip the step of stopping sql server or do I still need to do something because sql server was running at the time of the crash?

Looking at the backup directories, they are shown to be large, yet even after extracting the files in Win 7 there is no zip file visible (and I have things set to show hidden files).  Act could not see the zip files either.  Clearly the files are there based on copy times.  I put them on a Mac and extracted them and then the zip file is visible.  Why can the zip files not be seen or extracted on either my XP or Win 7 computer? 

I took the extracted backup file, and did a restore as.  Seemed to restore, but came up asking for a username and password.  I have no record of a username or password - did Act require these?  (I have pretty good password records, including for several Act databases that never got converted to Act 2005).  If there is a password, what is the best way to go about recovering or resetting the password? What is the best way to recover the username?  (I read about recovering it from the registry, but had difficulty figuring out how to access the registry on a nonbooting disk.  I have also seen numerous programs that claim to do this, but no way to check which work and which do not).

Help!  

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Conversion/Transfer: Multiple Problems

Hello Contactman,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Having access to the old hard drive, you can use the steps in the following article to copy the ADF, ALF, and 'Database files' folder from the old drive to your new hard drive and then open it using the ADF: KB Article 23392

A username is required in an ACT! database, a password is not required to be set - but if set, will be required to open the database.  If you previously were not asked for a username/password, you most likely do not have a password.  The username is generally the same as the name that was presented on the first contact record displayed when you opened the database.  It usually will be a variation of the creator's name (ex: firstname lastname, firstinitial lastname, FirstInitialLastname (no space), etc...).

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks. 

The article says I need to run actdiag and detach the database.  I cannot do that on my old drive as act7diag will not run (am guessing due to it not being the boot drive, there may be some registry issue).  Can I just copy over the files in that situation?

I did take one database and having "found" the zip file on the Mac, copied the found zip file, guessed correctly at the username and converted and opened the database.  Now I know why I do not remember a username/password.  It asked once (I guessed the username correctly and did not have a password) and it has not asked me again even though I have opened and closed the database, gone to the demo database, etc.  I am a single user, and the databases are only on my machine. 

I took another database and just copied the files over, and on that one cannot figure out the username so can't open it.   I ran actdiag on my new machine and it showed the username, and I tried that but no joy.  I also had tried some other things with this database so may have created a problem.  Frankly I would like to delete this one and start over on this database, but since I cannot open it I am not sure how to delete it.  Suggestions? 

And any idea why the zip file does not appear on XP or Win 7 even though it is clearly there?

Bump.  No answers to the questions in my last post?

Called tech support today and had some success.  Thanks, Vinod!

1)  They did not know why the zip file did not show up (and we spent no time on it since I really wanted to use the datafiles and not the backup).  The backup zip file from my now converted databases does show up though.

2)  You can copy over the files from the old machine.  The bit about stopping SQL Server does not apply to the crashed hard drive since it was not running Act anymore.  The only trick is not copying over the PAD file.

3)  The database needing a username that I could not get to work was due to problems I encountered in trying to convert that database, probably self inflicted.  I started over by:  running actdiag and detaching the database.  Going to Start, search bar, and running services.msc  then scrolled down and looked for SQL Server (Act7).  Right click and stop.  Now detached, with SQL Server not running, I just deleted the database.  I rebooted my computer (to restart services, I probably could have just done windows. msc and restarted, but I was rebooting anyway)I then copied over my files again and tried the conversion again and it worked.  Did not ask for a username.

4)  As to username and password.  First, they are both case sensitive.  Second, in a single user, single machine case Act has a tool they can use to easily recover such.  The first database I converted wanted a username and I put in what I thought it was and I was right.  The next two did not ask for  username and converted and opened fine. Probably had the same username as the first if that matters.  The 4th database I converted has a different My Record, so likely different username, but it never asked for a username.  Note that even the database that asked for a username once never asks for it again.  Not sure why the databases were inconsistent in asking or not for a username, but it works, so move on.

5)  A 5th database would not convert.  Said "One or more files do not match the primary file."  I will try the Mac route to make my zip file appear and try to restore from the backup. 

I noticed that the Act Add Ins for Excel make it Excel open so much more slowly.  Will disable those as I do not have regular need for the add ins.  Presumably they are easy to disable, and if i need them, easily re-enabled.  If you know how, let me know, if not I will look when I get a chance.