Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contents of backup ZIP file sure don't seem to contain any valid data but size of zip is 16MB - how can that be?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Contents of backup ZIP file sure don't seem to contain any valid data but size of zip is 16MB - how can that be?

this is not necessarily a problem but just a question to make sure that my backup is correct so that if I ever do need to do a restore, my backup is a valid one. The FAQ on backups did not discuss this hence why I am adding it to this forum, and I do not have (or plan to buy) a support contract.

Using ACT! 2008, doing a backup to a secondary hard drive (in case the one where ACT! is installed crashes) the file name created is "ACT!SHS.zip". If you open it, the only 2 files in it are 1K each and basically empty of any actual data (if you open them with notepad), and an empty folder called "SupplementalAbruption", BUT, the "ACT!SHS.zip" zip file itself is clearly listed as 16MB, so I am trying to believe that it is backed up, but if I cannot see any files proving that, well, then, I am not dead sure, so better safe than sorry and ask the question now while I have yet to have any (hard disk) problems (and hopefully never will).

What tricks could ZIP be playing on me? What should you expect to see if you open this zip file created?

Thanks,

dd

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Contents of backup ZIP file sure don't seem to contain any valid data but size of zip is 16MB - how can that be?

The files are there, its just compressed and in a different format.  If you open the zip files in WinZip classic mode, you'll see all the files.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Contents of backup ZIP file sure don't seem to contain any valid data but size of zip is 16MB - how can that be?

The database is in Database Files \backup folder.

You can (and should) test that the backup worked by doing a test Restore | Restore As - to a different name or folder.

As mentioned in my original request, I saved this backup to a different Hard Drive, I did NOT save it to the ACT! database backup folder which would have been the default, so, there are no files in the backup directory as I would expect. Rather, the back zip file is in a subdirectory of my E: drive. I do NOT want to save it to the same hard disk as where ACT! is installed (CSmiley Happy

and the files located in the ZIP file are created are the following:

BackupStageManifest

LIGWO

and the folder (empty) in the ZIP file:

SupplementalAbruption

this is flat wierd.

And the contents of "BackupStateManifest" are:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE MercuryBackupManifestFile>
<!--This file represents a Mercury back up file manifest-->
<MercuryBackupManifest>
  <RestoreFile name="DAMERJIAN_SeniorsHelpingSeniors_D20090912T134239.BAK" location="C://Documents and Settings/ChitChatCom/My Documents/ACT/ACT for Windows 10/Databases/SeniorsHelpingSeniors-database files/Backup/" size="25.375" />
  <MasterFile name="DAMERJIAN_master_D20090912T134239.BAK" location="C://Documents and Settings/ChitChatCom/My Documents/ACT/ACT for Windows 10/Databases/SeniorsHelpingSeniors-database files/Backup/" />
  <ModelFile name="DAMERJIAN_model_D20090912T134239.BAK" location="C://Documents and Settings/ChitChatCom/My Documents/ACT/ACT for Windows 10/Databases/SeniorsHelpingSeniors-database files/Backup/" />
  <PadFile name="RESTORE_PAD" location="C://Documents and Settings/ChitChatCom/My Documents/ACT/ACT for Windows 10/Databases/SeniorsHelpingSeniors-database files/Backup/" />
</MercuryBackupManifest>

Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

The files are there, its just compressed and in a different format.  If you open the zip files in WinZip classic mode, you'll see all the files.

Thanks, I see you are correct, I opened it up with Winzip classic and now there is an additional directory that leads to subdirs containing all sorts of goodies that look recognizeable for ACT!

Thanks,

dd

Platinum Elite Contributor

And, ass you'll see the Database itself in ./BAK format is in the folder (within the ZIP file):

Share\[Machine Name]\[DatabaseName]-database files\Backup

Yes, I see, yes I see.

Thanks,

dd

This Topic can now be closed.

You won't see the actual database files in your backup directory, just the supplemental files.

Try a "Restore As" to a directory of your choice "restore" and see what files get unpacked, you should see your database files and directories, then try to open the database with your new pad file.

Good Luck!

Dean Von

I.T. Manager using ACT! 2008 Premium V.10.0 for Mortgage Company