Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contacts with same last name taking on same first name

Astute Commentator

Contacts with same last name taking on same first name

I'm running ACT 2008 Version 10.0.3.182 on Windows XP.  Some of my remote databases are running on XP, some on Vista.  I did a lookup the other day on the last name Jackson and out of the 10 or so Jackson's, several had the first name of Betty.  I know I don't have that many Betty Jackson's. 

Tonight I did a lookup on the last name Clark and  of the 14 Clark's, 7 of them have the first name Elizabeth.  Again, I know that's not correct.

They all have unique addresses, etc. It's just the first names that are propagating.  It's hard to communicate with customers when you mess up their first name.

Help?

Re: Contacts with same last name taking on same first name

Is the issue specific to a remote?  Does the parent database have the incorrect contact names as well?
Astute Commentator

I am seeing it on the parent database.  I will have to ask the remotes if they are seeing it as well.  Although I assume when they sync they weill get whatever I have.
Bronze Super Contributor

Can you check the edit dates and last edited by fields and compare to see if there is any pattern?  Perhaps pointing back to a specific user...
Astute Commentator

The last edit dates were all different and did not coincide with the name changes.  I think it something ACT did, not a user.  The first time I did a lookup on "Clark", I saw the Contact List with all the different names, double-clicked on the one I wanted to work on and then when I went back to the Contact List, several of them had the same first name.
Bronze Super Contributor

We have seen a scenario where a user at a client site had customized the columns of his contact list view and this caused the company field to 'bleed' over into other records as the user moved through records.

It's a shot in the dark, but see if there is anything to that here.  Reverting the contact list to a default view was the workaround.  Out of about 15 machines at the location, only affected that one.  Guessing it somehow has to do with the interaction with Act! and the particular video driver version on that one machine.  just a guess...

Astute Commentator

It happened again tonight.  Did a lookup resulting in 9 contacts.  Went to the first one in Contact Detail view and changed a custom field.  When I went back to List view, 2 other contacts now had the same  first and last name as the contact I updated. 

I went back to Contact Detail view and tried to page forward and backward but it wouldn't page.  Did a Check and Repair and was able to page forward and backward but when I went to List view again, now 6 of the contacts have taken on the same first and last names.

Astute Commentator

Major data integrity issue here....any ideas, Sage?