Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contacts added dynamically to a group do not show up on the contact's group tab.

Copper Contributor

Contacts added dynamically to a group do not show up on the contact's group tab.

ACT 2009

When a contact is added dynamically to a group, it shows up in the group contact tab.You would expect to see that the contact is a member of a group when you look at the contacts group tab in the contact view.But this doesn’t happen.  You can see the steps attached in the screenshots.The ACT tech support has indicated that it is a glitch and will be fixed some day in a patch.

Anyone know a way around this or when it will be fixed??

This is a pretty major glitch and one that I drives me nuts trying to use the dynamic function which should make life easier.

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Contacts added dynamically to a group do not show up on the contact's group tab.

Have you tried clicking on the Display Dynamic Group Membership button?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Contacts added dynamically to a group do not show up on the contact's group tab.

Copper Contributor

I have to disagree that that is how it was designed, although that would be true if it was designed with a glitch.

I spoke to tech support and they indicated there would be a patch on one of the next updates.

It doesn't make sense that if a contact is a member of a group that you would not be able to see that on the contacts group tab.

Then agent you spoke with was misinformed.  ACT! is working as designed in this case and the public knowledgebase article I linked previously states so.

Please submit a feature request to be considered in a future version - http://www.act.com/community/feature/

Copper Contributor

Can you explain the logic why this is so?

If you set a group to dynamically add a contact to it, wouldn't it make sense that you can see that the contact is in a group from his group tab?

The dynamic members can be viewed by clicking the Display Dynamic Members button on the tab.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks, but it is frustrating.

I still do not understand why it doesn't show up without clicking a button.

I have 3000 records and do not feel like clicking a button each time, especially when the direct linked contacts show up without clicking a button.

The dynamic members of a group are displayed by running a query, the dynamic members are not attached to the group other than by the query. Running the query takes time. To do what you want the query would need to run every time you clicked on the groups tab. The button gives you the option of running the query.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I appreciate your help, but the answer is not what I want to hear.

It makes no sense to haver to click it just to see if they are in a dynamic group.

It should pop up automatically if there are in ANY group.

End of topic.

I will email the developers.

Thanks