Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact moves to a new company.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Contact moves to a new company.

Contact Tod leaves company Ace Corp and joins company Hex Co. He is replaced at Ace by Sue.

1. I want Tod's name and his history to stay at Ace Corp for reference in ongoing business with his replacement Sue.

2. I do not particularly want his history to become Sue's history unless there is a way of delineating between them.

2. I want to start a new contact record for Tod at Hex Co with out creating a duplicate contact.

This must happen lots. Suggestions on best practice, or what works for you please.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Contact moves to a new company.

Hi

We like to think of doing business with a person but it is often the position that the person hold that means they are the one we communicate with.

I train on ACT and this often comes up. This is my recommendation but please feel free to disagree.

When a person leaves a company mark them with an X at the front of their name. Use notes to record their leaving date.

If a new person takes over change the name to the new person but clearly mark in the notes area the date they took over and from whom.

If the old person joins a new company create a new record. Clearly mark in the notes area where they came from and the joining date of the new company. It may be they are replacing a previous person in the database at that company so it that case you would amend the previous office holders details rather than create a new record. 

This way there is continuity with the notes and history, sales etc with the job function - one place to look.

Hope this helps.

Chip

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi

We like to think of doing business with a person but it is often the position that the person hold that means they are the one we communicate with.

I train on ACT and this often comes up. This is my recommendation but please feel free to disagree.

When a person leaves a company mark them with an X at the front of their name. Use notes to record their leaving date.

If a new person takes over change the name to the new person but clearly mark in the notes area the date they took over and from whom.

If the old person joins a new company create a new record. Clearly mark in the notes area where they came from and the joining date of the new company. It may be they are replacing a previous person in the database at that company so it that case you would amend the previous office holders details rather than create a new record. 

This way there is continuity with the notes and history, sales etc with the job function - one place to look.

Hope this helps.

Chip

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Chip,

Good answer, it is along the lines of what I was figuring I needed to do. A couple of points for fine tuning (actually this is what I wanted to test in the demo db in my other query you answered!)

1. I had thought of putting the X in front of their name and just leaving it like that, and creating a new record for them in the new company. Reasons: sometimes the role changes, or is taken over by another person in the company etc.

Is there a downside to this? (apart from generating extra contact records).

2. I tend not to use Notes much, keeping everything pretty much in Activities and History. Your idea would apply equally well putting the file note in History. I take it you use fonts etc to make the leaving note stand out? Actually if I was to follow along this path, I would probably put a brief highlighted note in History refering to more detail in Notes if needed.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Cheers,  Graham

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi again Graham

First I am pleased the demo database is all working again.

Your variation on my suggestion seems just fine.

On 1 clients database they asked for a custom field to record the previous office holders name and leaving date but I think that is an overkill.

Good luck

Chip

Copper Contributor

One thing I have done is create a contact with the name being the company name

Added to the company "Contact" with any correspondence.

Unfortunately Act is B2C focused and doesn't accommodate B2B

Tom David Moxam