Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact field displaying Last, First

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Contact field displaying Last, First

I just imported an .xlxs. Contact field is displaying Last, First not First Name Last Name. The list had names in it Last Name, First Name. ACT has it right if you look in the name details and it knows which is first name and which is last name. 

I cannot find a setting to change how it is displayed, and I need help. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author alexclamon
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Contact field displaying Last, First

Hello Alex,

It is my understanding that Act out of the box doesn't do the conversion.

If you can start over again, I would suggest fixing the names in Excel using the concanten function, then import the new "contact" field into ACT.

You could use the Data > Text to Columns wizard to break your column of data into 2 columns, a column with last name and then a column with first name.

Once you get it into two columns, you can use a formula like =A2&" "&B2 to concatenate first and last name.

The final step would be to copy the formula and change it to values using Edit > Copy, Edit > Paste Special > Values

Hope that helps.  Search on Excel how to switch names from Last, First to First Last in Excel Help.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author alexclamon
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Hello Alex,

It is my understanding that Act out of the box doesn't do the conversion.

If you can start over again, I would suggest fixing the names in Excel using the concanten function, then import the new "contact" field into ACT.

You could use the Data > Text to Columns wizard to break your column of data into 2 columns, a column with last name and then a column with first name.

Once you get it into two columns, you can use a formula like =A2&" "&B2 to concatenate first and last name.

The final step would be to copy the formula and change it to values using Edit > Copy, Edit > Paste Special > Values

Hope that helps.  Search on Excel how to switch names from Last, First to First Last in Excel Help.

John Purdy

John- thank you for the reply. I have used the Text to Columns wizard and with some data massage have perfect data set now. 

I now need to delete the 6000 contacts I had imported. Is there a best method to delete this large a group so as to not leave data errors?

Thanks!

Bronze Contributor

Glad that helped.

My first thought is to ask if there is a unique identifiable item on each record that they ALL have in common. 

If by chance these were the only records you created on that one day, then you can do a lookup by "create date" and delete that llisting.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do a BACKUP first.

To hedge your bet, you might want to take that look up and copy them to another database and run some common sense checks on the data before you delete the records.  BTW, if you go to delete 6,000 records at once, you might want to consider an alternative activity like a mini-vacation.  It will take a long time, then you have to deal with the history in the "my record" b/c all the deletes will be listed there. 

Another thought is to do the lookup and change the ID/Status to something unique like "6,000 & Out". 

Hope that helps.

John Purdy

Mini vacation it was. This was the first import so the only other records in the thing were users.

Overall your recommendation was spot on. I used text to fields, created a clean xlsx file that had all the right info in all the right places. I deleted the other contacts, ran databased maintenance and then imported the info and had a great result.

Other than the delete taking a while, it all went well. Thank you!

I have another problem. I cannot get the dialer to work. I have a Fonality VOIP system that used the HUD TAPI and I cannot for the life of me get the computer to recognize any of this. 

Any ideas where to find decent instructions on how to make this work? The Install guide is no help. I go to the configure in ACT and it gives me a strange error: "Use the HUD application settings for configure TAPI"

THe poor grammar is a concern...I go to the HUD app and it gives me the same error. I go to Control Panel and try it there and it give me the same error.

Any Ideas?

THanks!

ACT_dialer_install_error.jpg

Bronze Contributor

I'm glad it worked for you. 

Regarding the dialer not working, may I suggest that you take what you wrote and create a new entry with that.  Other than you and I, no one on in the forum will know to jump in and offer some help.

Fixing dialer issues is not my strong spot.  I frequently ask for help myself. 

Glad I was able to help.

John Purdy