Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Name dialog box messes up names...

CEM
Copper Contributor

Contact Name dialog box messes up names...

I live in an area where Hispanics are the norm. 90% of them have a 2 word First Name and then 2 Last Names. e.g. Juan José Rivera González.

Everytime I do ANYTHING with the record, ACT! wants to make MIDDLE NAME José Rivera and LAST NAME González.In other words, if there are five names in CONTACT NAME, the Last Name will have one name and the rest divided between FIRST and MIDDLE NAME.  This throws off the Last name sort.

I have the "...ACT! checks for..." box TURNED OFF. In TOOLS --> Preferences --> Name Preferences check is OFF.

I need to know (and most likely other folks) how to tell ACT! to leave the names set ONCE I TELL IT HOW I WANT THE NAME!!

It is WORSE when I do a csv Import with all the CORRECT FIELDS. Doesn't matter, ACT! will do what it wants and reorganize the names. VERY, very irritating.

Thanks for any solutions/suggestions that will "fix" this issue.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Contact Name dialog box messes up names...

You're referring to the contact name parsing rules built into the ACT! program. The dialog box is intended to allow an override of the parsing rules. Once you make an override selection it shouldn't change unless youreopen the dialog or make a change to the contact field. I would suggest that you add the system First, Middle and Last Name fields to your layout so you can monitor the parsing without opening the contact dailog box.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
CEM
Copper Contributor

Re: Contact Name dialog box messes up names...

Thank you Roy...have been doing that since 1996, when I stopped using another CRM program and went with ACT!. I have all the systen fields relating to prefix, names and suffix visible so that I can see when ACT! has decided to rearrange the contacts name and thus sort, find, the works.

There has to be a system override...say..."leave the name alone"...I want it this way. That has to be pretty simple...same way you can select how the Salutation (Nickname) will work.

I have been suggesting this to the ACT! techs and Sales reps for years now. Once the Hispanic market releases the TROUBLE they will have with multiple names, maybe ACT! will finally do something.

Any MERGE at all will affect the records, Roy, not just entering the field.