Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Layout Modification - Yes/No Field to Drop Down Fieldd

Contact Layout Modification - Yes/No Field to Drop Down Fieldd

I am wanting to change a client's Contact Layout to reflect their data more efficiently.  I am wanting to change a clickable yes/no field to a drop down field.   In doing this, will the yes/no data automatically update the drop down field to reflect if a choice was made.

I.E. A contact record has clicked that a contact is AICPA and a CPA; will the drop down show that these choices?
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Contact Layout Modification - Yes/No Field to Drop Down Fieldd

If you mean when you tick the box will it update the drop down, no it won't without an addon.

Tom

Thank you for the response.  What Add-on program would enable this to occur?
Nickel Super Contributor

I don;t know if there's one currently written, have a look on www.actaddons.com .  Otherwise we can write one for you - have a look at our website www.rowcol.co.uk.  Why are you trying to use both? would it not be easier to just use the drop down.  You could run a global update on your db to transfer the info in the check box to a drop down.

Tom
Copper Super Contributor

Another method is to create your new field with the appropriate values Yes/No as a drop down. Then use a look up to find your yes/no records in a look up and perform a replace to the new field for the correct value in the new drop down.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

I am wanting to change a Yes/No field to a Drop down Field.  However, existing contact information would be lost since there is not an option to transfer the yes/no to a drop down field.  Can you advise how to do a global update to transfer this information?  Is there an example in the tutuorials and/or knowledge base how to due to this.

Thank  you Brad!  I will keep this as an option, if the global update is not effective.
Nickel Super Contributor

By global update I actually meant the same thing as brad -

1. Create the new fields
2. Run a lookup on your check box (lookup the value TRUE) - this will give you everyone with the box checked
3. Click Edit -> Replace -> Select your new drop down field and under the vale enter Yes -> Click OK
4 Run a lookup on your checkbox (lookup the value FALSE) - this will give you everyone with the box unchecked
5. Click Edit -> Replace -> Select your new drop down field and under the vale enter No -> Click OK

Make sure you backup your db first

HTH

Tom

Great! This works; thank you Tom!
Ciao
Bianca